Low-fat potato leek soup is full of flavor and low in calories! A hearty soup to warm up with and full of veggies! This is a great soup for any night and also great for a Holiday meal! A creamy soup without any cream and extra calories! A vegetarian/vegan soup which is also gluten-free to keep your diet in check!Jump to Recipe
One of my favorite soups is potato leek soup! I know you are thinking cream, which leads to lots of fat! Well, don’t you worry, this soup does not have any cream. This is a low-fat potato leek soup! The soup gets its creaminess from pureeing the soup once all the veggies are tender. Super yum and you get to eat a low-fat soup that is ever so tasty! You will seriously not miss the cream and quite frankly, I rarely use cream and no one is complaining!
I have been fighting a flu for quite a while now! I think I need to give in and see my doctor! Between the snow and cold temperatures I just cannot shake being cold. One thing I can say that I really love about this time of year is because I am always cold and at this point feeling a little under the weather is, you guessed it, soup! I crave it all winter! I am no soup snob, either! I love any kind of soup, creamy, clear, veggie, or meaty, not sure if meaty is a word, but you know what I mean, at least I think you do! I believe my cold medicine is kicking in!
Everyday Eileen Tips:
- The potatoes, I love to use Idaho potatoes for this soup, but if you prefer red or Yukon potatoes, enjoy! I won’t hold it against you!
- Lumpy or smooth you ask, I am talking about soup in case there is any confusion! I prefer a smooth soup, that is just my personal preference! We will still be friends if you like a few larger pieces of potato in the soup. Just puree half of the soup! It is all delicious!
- Leeks, please make sure when you prepare your leeks, you really wash them well. If they have a lot of, well there is no other way to say it, dirt, in the stems soak the leeks in a bowl of water to get rid of excess dirt!
- This soup freezes really well, so why not make a double batch. For a smaller amounts, put in individual freezer containers!
I hope you add this low-fat potato leek soup to your HEALTHY SOUPS/HOLIDAY SOUPS PINTEREST BOARDS! I’d love for you to follow me on PINTEREST! I’m always pinning from talented and amazing bloggers!
I’d love for everyone to make this tasty Low-fat Potato Leek Soup! I’d love to hear how you enjoyed the recipe! So let me know here by leaving a comment! Its always great when you share your recipe on Instagram! Use #everydayeileen, so I can see and share your recipes!
Feel free to subscribe to my newsletter to never miss a recipe!
Thank you for the continued support! I am forever grateful to you all!
*This recipe was originally published in early 2016, photos and some text have been updated. Recipe has not been changed
Low-fat Potato Leek Soup
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- dried chopped chives, optional garnish
- fat-free sour cream, optional garnish leave out if vegan
In a large dutch oven or stockpot, over medium heat, melt the unsalted butter. Add the leeks and onion. Saute for about 5 minutes to soften the vegetables.
Add the potatoes and the vegetable stock. Cover, let simmer, for about 30 - 35 minutes. Check potatoes for tenderness.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to desired smoothness. Add salt and pepper to taste. If desired, serve with chopped chives and a dollop of fat-free sour cream as a garnish
- Please note that nutritional information can vary depending on individual ingredients used when preparing the recipe