Our comfort-filled Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole includes an easy homemade creamy chicken soup that provides a delicious base for this easy meal.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- This is a great make-ahead chicken broccoli rice recipe that everyone will love.
- You have a choice to make homemade cream of chicken soup or use a store-bought brand if you're in a hurry. Both give delicious results.
- This cheesy chicken broccoli rice dish is pure comfort food the whole family will love.
- A great recipe for feeding a crowd.
- White Rice - It will cook in the casserole and become fluffy and tender.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - They are chopped and browned to make a delicious cream of chicken soup for the casserole.
- Chicken Broth - The broth mixes with the milk to make a creamy sauce for the chicken rice casserole.
- Broccoli Florets - adds a veggie and a nice crunch to the dish.
- Whole Milk - adds a creamy texture to the sauce.
- All-Purpose Flour - thickens the milk and stock to make a creamy sauce.
- Poultry Seasoning - onion, and fresh garlic - all add flavor to the chicken casserole.
- Balsamic Vinegar - gives a zing to the cream of chicken soup sauce.
- Cheddar Cheese - everything is better with cheese.
- Bread Crumbs - add a crunch and texture to the casserole.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: Grease or spray with non-stick spray a 9” x 13” casserole dish and set it aside. Cook the rice according to package directions. Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C.
Step 2: Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sliced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes to soften the veggies.
Step 3: Heat olive oil in the stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes to soften the veggies.
Step 4: Add chicken to the pot. Saute until the chicken is at least 125°F/52°C (it will continue cooking further in the soup and casserole), stirring occasionally.
Step 5: Add the flour and poultry seasoning to the chicken and stir to coat.
Step 6: Add the balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, and milk. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 7: Layer the ingredients in the prepared casserole dish by first adding rice.
Step 8: Add in the soup and chicken, then spread the broccoli. Stir to combine.
Step 9: Top with shredded cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs.
Step 10: Bake in preheated oven, 25 minutes. The cheese will be melted and the sauce will be thick.
Leftovers - Store leftovers in a covered airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave using the manufacturer's instructions. Otherwise, reheat in an oven-safe dish until warmed through at 350°F/177°C.
Freezer - This is a great casserole to make double and freeze for later. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and foil and freeze for up to 3 months. If cooking from frozen, it can take about 1 to 1 ½ hours to bake.
The casserole can be defrosted overnight in the refrigerator. Then cook as in the recipe below.
Expert Tip: Once the sauce bubbles, cheese is melted, and chicken is at 165°F, the casserole is finished cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
For this recipe, it is not necessary to cook the rice prior to adding it to the casserole.
Cover the casserole with aluminum foil for the first 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and let the casserole finish baking.
Always use a meat thermometer to verify the correct temperature of poultry which should be 165°F when cooked through.
Rice: A different kind of rice such as basmati or jasmine rice can also be used to make this recipe.
Quinoa can be used in lieu of rice too.
Vegetables: Frozen broccoli can be used if fresh broccoli is not readily available.
Other vegetable options are broccoli, try cauliflower, carrots, or green beans.
Rice: Brown rice can be used instead of white rice. However, brown rice takes a bit longer to bake, about 10-15 minutes.
Looking for a low-carb option, use cauliflower rice.
Cream of chicken: Store-bought condensed cream soup or our cooked shredded chicken can be substituted for our from-scratch cream soup.
If you have extra sour cream in the fridge, add some into the casserole for extra creaminess.
This is a great casserole on its own.
Our beefy cheesy Texas Hash is a one-pan crowd-pleasing dinner.
Frito Pie dinner brings everything together in one casserole for a tasty meal.
Easy beef enchiladas are another crowd-pleasing casserole your family will love.
Our baked spaghetti casserole is a quick and easy recipe that requires no precooking the spaghetti. Always a hit.
Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole is the greatest way to enjoy stuffed cabbage rolls without all the fuss. Yum!
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
Cream of Chicken Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ cups boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 " cubes or 25.4 mm
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or more to taste
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups whole milk note 1
Chicken Rice Casserole
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces Note 2
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken Note 3 from the cooked cream of chicken soup recipe
- 2 cups homemade cream of chicken soup Note 4
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- Before making the cream of chicken soup, prepare the rice according to the package instructions.
How to make the cream soup
- Place the olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion and sliced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, the vegetables will begin to soften.
- Add the cubed chicken. Saute until the chicken is at least 125°F (it will continue cooking further in the soup and casserole), stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Add the flour and poultry seasoning to the chicken and stir to coat.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, chicken broth and milk and bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce and simmer for 5 minutes. Sauce will then and meat will continue to cook but not be thoroughly cooked through. Set aside.
Asseble the Casserole
- Grease a 9” x 13” casserole dish and set it aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Layer the casserole ingredients in the casserole dish: cooked rice, followed by the cream of chicken soup and chicken, then the broccoli.
- Stir to combine.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese and plain breadcrumbs.
- Bake covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. until the cheese is melted and the cream of chicken soup appears to be thickened.
- Remove foil, bake another 5 minutes, the cheese should melted and the cream of chicken soup will be thick and bubng.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving.