Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
Slow-cooked corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, and carrots cooked with ale! Prep takes 10 minutes and the slow cooker does the rest! Enjoy for Saint Patrick's Day or any time of year.
Servings 8 servings
- 4 pounds brined flat cut corned beef
- 12 ounces beer Note 1
- 4-6 cups water Note 2
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 10 whole black peppercorns Note 3
- pickling spice Note 4
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks Note 5
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch chunks Note 5
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into thick wedges
- Irish Soda Bread optional side
- Irish Brown Bread optional side
Into a slow cooker add corned beef, fat side up, beer, water, onion, garlic, black peppercorns, pickling spices, bay leaf, potatoes, carrots, and thyme.
Set the timer for 6 hours on low.
Then add the cabbage, carrots, and potatoes to the slow cooker. Set the slow cooker on low for an additional 2 hours.
Once the timer is up, beef should be fork tender. Remove corned beef and cover with foil. Let it rest for about 10-15 minutes. Cut corned beef against the grain.
Remove and discard the onion, bay leaf, and thyme. Strain the veggies.
Serve the corned beef and cabbage with brown mustard and enjoy!
Note 1: Use your ale of choice! Guinness, Smithwick's are two that I use.
Note 2: Be sure your meat and veggies are covered with the liquid. Use more water if needed.
Note 3: Use whole black peppercorns in addition to the pickling spice, adds great flavor.
Note 4: If your brisket does not come with pickling spice, you can purchase pickling spice.
Note 5: Cut veggies into larger chunks so vegetables aren't too soft.
- Trim excess fat from the brisket before cooking.
- Cut veggies into larger chunks so they aren't too soft. Add Cabbage with 1 hour left.
- Prefer veggies with a bite, add them halfway through cooking, hour 4.
- Once the beef is cooked, remove, cover with foil and let rest for about 10-15 minutes. This sets the juices in the beef.
- Cut the beef against the grain.
- Feel free to remove and discard the film off the top of the water after the beef has slow-cooked for about 45 minutes.
- I'm not a registered dietician, I do my best to provide the most accurate nutritional values. Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes
Serving: 4slices | Calories: 581kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 2810mg | Potassium: 1418mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 270IU | Vitamin C: 113.7mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 5.4mg