Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
Easiest recipe for slow cooker pork carnitas. The blend of spices, citrus and pork make delicious carnitas. These are perfect in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, tex-mex bowls. These are a party time favorite dish!
Servings 12 servings
- 4-5 pound pork shoulder/pork butt trim excess fat
- 1 teaspoon corn oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, rib removed, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 large oranges, halved and juiced keep peel to add to slow cooker
- 1 large lime, halved and juiced keep peel to add flavor to slow cooker
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
Pork Carnitas Spice Rub
In a small bowl, combine, oregano, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, Kosher salt, and pepper. Set aside
Rinse and dry the pork shoulder/butt. Coat the pork with the pork dry rub. Set aside.
In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat, add the corn oil. Add in the seasoned pork and brown on all sides. Once browned, remove and add to the slow cooker.
Add the onions and jalapeno, saute about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and saute another minute. Remove from heat,add the veggies to the slow cooker.
To the slow cooker, add the juice from the orange and lime. and bay leaf. Cook on low, for 8 hours. high, 4 hours.
Heat oven to 450 degrees
Meat is done when meat is is fork tender. Remove the bay leaf, citrus peels and discard. Shred the meat
I add the shredded pork to a cookie sheet/ maybe two cookie sheets depending on how much meat.
Place cookie sheet in preheated oven and cook for about 10 minutes to crisp up the meat
- For parties, I generally make these a day ahead and keep in an an aluminum tin and but them finish off in the oven as per recipe and they are ready to eat.
- freezer friendly, again freeze and defrost and then into the oven to crisp
- Pork Carnitas are amazing in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, any type of Mexi bowl. Enjoy!
Serving: 12servings | Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 151mg | Potassium: 618mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 18.6mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2.1mg