Low-fat Potato Leek Soup
A low-fat Potato and Leek soup. The soup gets its creaminess from pureeing the soup when the vegetables are tender. Tasty and low-calorie. Soup freezes well!
Servings 8 servings
- 2 tsp unsalted butter *see note
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- dried chopped chives, optional garnish
- fat-free sour cream, optional garnish leave out if vegan
In a large dutch oven or stockpot, over medium heat, melt the unsalted butter. Add the leeks and onion. Saute for about 5 minutes to soften the vegetables.
Add the potatoes and the vegetable stock. Cover, let simmer, for about 30 - 35 minutes. Check potatoes for tenderness.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to desired smoothness. Add salt and pepper to taste. If desired, serve with chopped chives and a dollop of fat-free sour cream as a garnish
- Replace unsalted butter with either vegan butter or butter flavored coconut oil if vegan
- Please note that nutritional information can vary depending on individual ingredients used when preparing the recipe
Calories: 107kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 185mg | Potassium: 467mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 28.1mg | Calcium: 220mg | Iron: 1.3mg