Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage with Peppers and Onion over Spaghetti Squash
A healthy and delicious sheet pan meal Using chicken sausage, peppers, onion, and spaghetti squash in lieu of pasta. A low-carb, low-calorie, gluten-free, one sheet pan, easy meal!
Servings 5 servings
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 14 ounce sweet chicken sausage links usually 5 links
- 1 large onion, peeled, and sliced into thin half moons
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
- 1 cup Homemade Marinara or Store bought
- 1 Tablespoon Parmesan Reggiano cheese for topping
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Slice the spaghetti squash in half, remove and discard the pulp and seeds.
Brush the flesh of the spaghetti squash lightly with a small amount of olive oil. Then season to taste, with salt and black pepper.
On a large sheet pan, place the squash, flesh side down on the cookie sheet. Place in the oven for 15 minutes. ( The squash will continue cooking with remaining ingredients)
In a large bowl, combine the onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, olive oil, garlic, dried Italian seasoning. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
After cooking the spaghetti squash for 15 minutes, remove the sheet pan from the oven. Add the seasoned peppers, onions, and chicken sausage. Return to the oven. Bake and set timer for 10 minutes.
After the 10 minutes. turn the sausages, peppers and onions. Cook or another 15 minutes. Sausages should be at 165 degrees.
Once cooked, remove the sheet pan from the oven. Use a fork to flake all the spaghetti squash. It will resemble spaghetti.
Assemble either in individual plates or one large platter. Top the spaghetti squash with marinara sauce, sausage, peppers and onions. Sprinkle with Parmesan Reggiano Cheese.
- any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actually dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
- Sizes of spaghetti squash will vary, please keep that in mind when you are first roasting. If cooking a very large squash, give a little more time to the first set of cooking.
- feel free to vary sausage to hot chicken sausage or any type of turkey sausage.
Calories: 354kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 990mg | Potassium: 165mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 800IU | Vitamin C: 137.8mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 0.4mg