Easy Homemade Swedish Meatballs
Easy Homemade Swedish Meatballs are perfect as an appetizer or a main dish. Served with egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or your favorite side.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 16 minutes
Total Time 26 minutes
Servings 5 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon if ground nutmeg See Note 1
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 drops Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Swedish Meatball Gravy
- 14.5 ounces beef broth, fat-free sodium free Note 2
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2-3 drops Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms optional
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley, garnish optional
To Make Swedish Meatballs
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, plain bread crumbs, egg, pepper, salt, nutmeg, allspice, and Worcestershire Sauce. Mix to combine ingredients. Do not over mix, this keeps the meatballs tender.
In a saute pan, add 1 teaspoon olive oil and brown the meatballs. Once all browned set aside meatballs. If adding mushrooms, saute the mushrooms for about 2-3 minutes and set aside. Cover the meatballs and mushrooms with foil.
Making Swedish Meatball Gravy.
To the skillet, over medium heat add the butter, let melt. Add in the flour and whisk for about 1 minute. Add in some of the beef broth. Use a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits and bottom of the pan. Add in remaining beef broth, Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon mustard, and black pepper. Whisk to smooth gravy.
Assembling Swedish Meatballs and Gravy
Add back into the saucepan the meatballs and the mushrooms, if you are using them. Let meatballs simmer for about 25 minutes. Gently stir occasionally. Add in the heavy cream, warm gravy. Check the seasoning, reseason if needed. Add in fresh chopped parsley.
Serve Swedish Meatballs as an appetizer. As a meal, serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, zoodles, your favorite sides.
Note 1: I prefer using fresh nutmeg, adds a lot of flavors. If using ground nutmeg us a little more. Note 2: I prefer using fat-free broth. Cuts down on sodium.
- I am not a registered dietician, I do my best to give the most accurate nutritional details as possible. Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes
Serving: 4meatballs | Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 138mg | Sodium: 567mg | Potassium: 675mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 545IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 3.3mg