Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
A meal that is simple enough for any weeknight yet perfect for guests! Ready in about 35 minutes, a family favorite meal. Chicken pieces with peppers, mushrooms, and onions in a garlic, wine, and chicken broth. Can be served over pasta, zoodles, spaghetti squash, or mashed potatoes.15
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 27 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Seasoning for Chicken
- 4 pieces bone-in chicken breasts or drumsticks, skin removed about 6 ounces each see note 1
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, diced
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup white wine I use a Pinot Grigio
- 1/2 cup fat-free chicken stock
- 14 1/2 ounce can of diced tomatoes fire roasted tomatoes are preferred
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, garnish optional
- fresh basil or parsley for garnish optional
Season the Chicken Pieces
Combine the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. Season the chicken with the seasoning. Set Aside.
Set the Instant Pot to Saute, add the olive oil. Add in the chicken pieces to brown all sides, about 6 minutes. Once the chicken is brown, remove and set aside.
If needed, add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add in the onions, saute for a minute. Stir in the red pepper and mushrooms. Saute about another 2 minutes to soften the veggies. Add in the garlic.
Add in the balsamic vinegar and white wine. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown drippings in the bottom of the Instant Pot. (This brings flavor but also helps prevent the burn code on the Instant Pot).
Combine in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Kalamata olives, bay leaf, Italian Seasoning, and dried parsley. Stir ingredients. Add back in the chicken pieces.
Press Cancel on the Instant Pot. Place lid on Instant Pot, lock and turn the steam valve to close. Select pressure cooking, High, 10 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, let it natural release for about 5 minutes. Then quick release valve. Consult manufacturers instructions if needed for operating your Instant Pot. Discard bay leaf.
Serve the Chicken Cacciatore with your favorite sides. Low-carb choices spaghetti squash, zoodles, mashed cauliflower. Other choices are mashed potatoes or your favorite pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and fresh basil or parsley for garnish.
Note 1: I generally use a combo of bone-in chicken breasts and drumsticks. If the chicken breasts are large, I cut them in half. Stovetop Instructions: Use a large saute pan over medium heat. Follow the instructions above. However, once the chicken has been browned and all the ingredients have been added to the pan turn heat to low. Cover pan with a lid and simmer stirring occasionally for about 35 - 40 minutes. Check the temperature of chicken which should be 165 degrees when cooked through.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 455mg | Potassium: 681mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1605IU | Vitamin C: 64.6mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2.6mg