Mediterranean Eggplant Pasta Sauce
A hearty and delicious eggplant pasta sauce that is full of flavor! Pair with a bowl of pasta for a delicious meal! This is a year-round favorite recipe! It is delicious hot! For an easy summer recipe using your garden veggies, this is awesome at room temperature.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients to make Eggplant Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 28 ounce can, Italian Plum Tomatoes Note 1
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste Note 2
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes Note 3
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced in half
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley optional garnish
- Parmesan Cheese optional garnish
- 1 pound pasta or zoodles Note 4
How to make Eggplant Pasta Sauce
Heat a large saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Saute eggplant, onion, and red pepper for about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and saute another few seconds to blend the flavors. Stir in the white wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Cook another few minutes to reduce wine and blend flavors.
Stir in the diced tomatoes ( break those tomatoes up with your hands), tomato paste, Italian seasoning, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover pan with a lid and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
Uncover and cook another 10 minutes to thicken the sauce. Stir in Kalamata olives and capers. Check the seasoning, re-season if needed. Garnish with Parmesan and parsley, if using.
While the sauce is cooking, make your pasta or zoodles, serve and enjoy!
Note 1: Use your hands to crush the tomatoes as you add them into the slow cooker.
Note 2: I use Tomato Paste in the tube.
Note 3: use less hot pepper flakes to start and add more if you want a spicier sauce. I use this hot pepper flakes.
Note 4: Spaghetti, linguine, or pappardelle are my favorite choices of pasta. To keep this low-carb, serve with zoodles.
I am not a registered dietician, I do my best to provide the most accurate nutritional values. Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes
* The nutritional value is only based on the Eggplant Sauce.
Serving: 12cup | Calories: 159kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 624mg | Potassium: 596mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1110IU | Vitamin C: 51.9mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2.1mg