Granny's Candied Carrots Recipe
Not much better than a side dish that you have been enjoying since you were a child. These Candied Carrots are tender and filled with flavor from brown sugar and melted butter. A great side dish for any night. Perfect for Holidays.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced 1 inch thick
- 2 cups water, enough to cover carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt
Brown Sugar Glaze
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add the sliced carrots and enough water to cover the carrots. Add in a bay leaf, and salt.
Bring the pot to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid and simmer about 5 minutes. Carrots should be fork-tender.
Drain the carrots of excess water and discard the bay leaf.
Stir in the light brown sugar and unsalted butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. Taste for seasoning, re-season if needed. Serve and enjoy
- Slice the carrots evenly to ensure even cooking.
- Use just enough water to cover carrots.
- Boil until just soft, don't overcook.
- To reheat, warm over low heat or in the oven for just a few minutes to warm carrots.
- Swap out sugar and use Coconut Sugar or Turbinado Sugar.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 369mg | Potassium: 362mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 19120IU | Vitamin C: 6.7mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 0.3mg