Sausage and Cabbage Recipe
Enjoy a quick and easy one skillet sausage and cabbage recipe. Smoked sausages blend well with tender cabbage for a budget-friendly dinner.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound smoked sausage or kielbasa, sliced thin Note 1
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups cabbage, sliced thin, 1 head, about 2 pounds Note 2
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh thyme, optional garnish
In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
Place the sliced sausage in the pan, saute about 5 minutes to lightly brown the sausage. Remove sausage, set aside.
Add the remaining Tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Stir in the shallots and saute for 3 minutes to soften the shallots. Stir in the garlic and dried thyme, stir about 1 minute to blend flavors.
Blend in the cabbage and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally about 10-13 minutes, to soften the cabbage.
Stir in the shredded carrots and cooked sausage, saute another minute to blend flavors.
Taste for seasoning, reseason if needed. Optional, serve with a sprinkling of fresh chopped thyme.
Note 1: Variations can be any smoked sausage including turkey or chicken.
Note 2: Need a short-cut, use pre-cut cabbage found in the produce section of your grocery store.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 664mg | Potassium: 301mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3443IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg