Skinny Basil Pesto
Skinny Basil Pesto is perfect over pasta or added into many dishes including frittatas, chicken, and shrimp. A perfect addition to any veggie dish. This easy low-calorie pesto is nut-free and freezes really well!
Servings 8 servings
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste to taste
In a food processor, combine fresh basil, Pecorino Romano cheese, and garlic. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
While running food processor on low, slowly add olive oil until mixture is well blended. Check the pesto mixture after adding the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Depending on how well you packed your basil, you may need a bit more olive oil, no more than 1/3 of a cup of olive oil.
Season with the pepper and salt, to taste.
Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Use right away or freeze in ice cube trays. 2 Tablespoons in each cube. Once frozen, place in freezer bags and use as needed. I use within 3 months.
- The basil pesto keeps in the fridge, well covered for about 3-4days.
- any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Serving: 1Tablespoon | Calories: 86kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 75mg | Potassium: 23mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 340IU | Vitamin C: 1.3mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 0.3mg