Easy Skinny French Toast
A delicious recipe for easy and skinny french toast. Using low-fat milk, orange juice, vanilla and egg whites keeps calories down and the toast is full of flavor. Perfect for any day! Great for a Holiday brunch. These are perfect to make ahead and they freeze really well!
Servings 4 servings
- 8 slices Italian bread, 1 inch thick
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup egg whites I use carton egg whites
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 large orange peel, finely zested
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- non-stick cooking spray
- fresh blackberries, blueberries and strawberries to garnish
- 100% pure maple syrup to garnish
Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Spray with non-stick butter spray. If making a large batch preheat oven to 170 degrees to keep the cooked french toast warm.
In a large bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, 2% milk, orange zest, orange juice, vanilla, and cinnamon.
Submerge each piece of Italian bread into the egg mixture. Shake excess egg mixture off the bread.
Add each piece of bread to the skillet. Cook on each side about 4 minutes, to ensure a crispy outside and fluffy interior.
Keep cooked pieces warm in a 170-degree oven if making a large batch.
Garnish with the fresh fruit and 100% maple syrup
- These are amazing for a make-ahead breakfast/brunch.
- To reheat, heat oven to 325 degrees, place french toast in a large casserole pan and wrap with aluminum foil for about 10-15 minutes to warn the French Toast.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Serving: 4servings | Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 438mg | Potassium: 186mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 300IU | Vitamin C: 47.9mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 2.2mg