Poached Pears in White Wine
Fresh Bosc pears poached in white wine and either pumpkin or apple hard cider with a cinnamon stick, allspice, nutmeg and either honey or agave! Sophisticated dessert with little effort!
Servings 4 servings
- 4 Bosc pears, peeled and seeds removed
- 1 cup dessert wine, such as Moscato or Sauterne
- ½ cup hard apple cider or pumpkin beer *see note
- ½ cup water
- 2 3 inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon raw honey, if vegan use agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg can use ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- chocolate syrup
- frozen vanilla yogurt or vanilla ice cream
Peel the skin from the pears and slice them down the middle. Remove the seeds with a melon scoop or spoon. and discard the seeds,
In a saucepan, over low heat, add the dessert wine, cider of choice water, cinnamon sticks, raw honey or agave, nutmeg, and allspice, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon. Stir to combine all ingredients.
Add in the pears and cook for about 10 minutes and then gently turn pears over to cook at least another 10 minutes. Begin checking pears for tenderness. Should take no more than 20 minutes.
Remove the cooked pears with a slotted spoon to a platter. Turn up the heat on the white wine mixture, bring to a boil and reduce down to a syrup like sauce. The mixture should reduce by at least ⅓. This takes approximately 10 minutes.
Serve 2 pears in either Margarita glasses or dessert bowls. rizzle white wine sauce over the pears. Can refrigerate and reheat sauce and reheat the pears. Drizzle white wine sauce over the pears. Optional : Top with fat-free frozen vanilla yogurt, ice cream, chocolate syrup or whip cream,
- If you prefer not to cook with wine, use either apple or pumpkin cider.
- For added garnish, combine cinnamon and sugar in another bowl, set aside, Dip the serving glass in either white wine or apple juice and then into the sugar/cinnamon mixture for a rimmed sugar glass.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 180mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin C: 7.4mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.4mg