Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Using the ham bone from a special dinner makes for an easy prep slow cooker supper with minimum preparation! The ham bone provides a smoky flavor and this is a delicious "left over" meal for the family to enjoy.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 ham bone
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 pound dried split peas, rinsed
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
In a 6 quart slow cooker, add the ham bone, diced ham, diced onion, split peas, chicken stock, water, celery seed, salt, and pepper.
Cook on low 8 to 10 hours. The peas will be soft. Remove the ham bone. Puree the soup with a handheld immersion blender until smooth. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Adapted from 365 Slow Cooker Suppers by Stephanie O'Dea.
- Any nutritional value used is an estimate. These figures can change based on ingredients and portion size
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 449mg | Potassium: 1004mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1895IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 4mg