The Best Chipotle BBQ Sauce Recipe
My Homemade chipotle BBQ sauce is easy and delicious. Ready in 30 minutes, you won't want a store bought sauce again. I have made this sauce with a bit of spice using chipotles in adobo sauce. Freezes really well too
Servings 20 Tablespoons
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat add the olive oil. Add in the onions.
Saute about 3 minutes, onions will get translucent, add the garlic and saute another 1 minute.
Stir in the remaining ingredients chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, ketchup, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, ground mustard, pepper, and salt.
Cover pot and reduce heat to low. Let simmer, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.
Check seasonings and make any adjustments, if needed.
BBQ sauce can be kept tightly covered in the fridge for about 3-4 days. Can be frozen for 3 months. Use on ribs, beef, poultry, turkey, and veggies.
- When adding your spice, start with this seasoning.
- AFter the BBQ sauce has simmered a bit, taste for your spice factor.
- If you want more spice, add a little at a time.
- It is easier to add spice than take away.
- If the sauce is too spicy for you at any time, add a little honey to reduce spice.
- After sauce has simmered, check your seasoning, adjust if needed.
- Keep the sauce in the fridge well covered up to 4 days.
- This BBQ sauce can be frozen in a well-sealed bag or container for up to 6 months.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.
Serving: 2tablespoons | Calories: 21kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 141mg | Potassium: 78mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 235IU | Vitamin C: 1.9mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 0.3mg