Cider Braised Chicken and Cabbage
Chicken breasts, cabbage, potatoes, fennel, carrots, and apples braised in hard cider to make a one-pot amazing meal. perfect for a crowd. Easy preparation.
Servings 6 people
- 6 bone-in chicken breasts,about 5-6 ounces each see Note 1
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour can use almond flour for keto
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for dredging
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 12 ounce hard cider see Note 2
- 2 cups fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped about 2 inch thick 5-6 carrots
- 1 pound red potatoes, cleaned and cut 4-5 pieces each see Note 3
- 3 cloves sliced garlic
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 sprig rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dry
- 5-6 sprigs parsley or 1 teaspoon dry
- 14.5 can chicken broth or homemade
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a glass bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Dredge the chicken in the flour. Set aside.
Over medium heat, place stove/oven safe Dutch oven and add olive oil to heat. Add the chicken pieces to brown on both sides. Remove when brown. Add 1 cup of the hard cider to the pot and use a wooden spoon to loosen any brown pieces at bottom of the pot.
Add in the fennel, cabbage, carrots, red potatoes, garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper, to your taste. Place lid on the pot. Braise in the oven about 1 hour 15 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees.
Serve chicken and cabbage with veggies and broth and enjoy!
Note 1: If the chicken breasts are very large, cut them in half for easier serving and braising. Also as far as the skin, I generally remove most or all of the skin and discard before dredging the chicken. A healthier option
Note 2: I use Magners hard cider. You can use a homemade cider or store-bought, non-alcohol cider.
Note 3: I use small red potatoes. If the potatoes are very large, cut into 2-inch pieces so they cook evenly. You can use another type of potato. (Yukon or Idaho)
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 422mg | Potassium: 1169mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 12725IU | Vitamin C: 24.8mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1.8mg