Easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
The easiest recipe to make a delicious sandwich with melt in your mouth beef. The beef is served on a hoagie roll with melted provolone cheese and a tasty au jus sauce that adds amazing flavor.
Servings 6 sandwiches
- 4 pounds bottom round roast
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil if browning meat in Dutch Oven
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 14.5 ounce can of fat-free beef broth or homemade beef stock
- ¼ cup light soy sauce gluten-free use Tamari
- 3-4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 2 teaspoons softened butter optional
- 12 slices provolone cheese
Rinse and dry meat. Combine in a small bowl, the black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Season the roast liberally with the seasonings.
Method one- most preferred. In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the seasoned beef and brown on all sides. Once browned, remove beef and place in slow cooker. Add the onions to the dutch oven, saute about 5 minutes to soften the onions. Remove onions and add to slow-cooker. Add some of the beef broth to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits at bottom of the pan. Add the broth into the slow-cooker. Add garlic, remaining beef broth, light soy sauce, Worcheshire Sauce, Dijon mustard, bay leaf, and sprigs of thyme or dried thyme.
Method two- Don't brown the beef in olive oil and add all ingredients directly to slow cooker
Place the lid on slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Shred beef with forks.
To prepare the hoagies. Place the broiler on high. Place oven rack on the third rack from the top of the oven.Slice them in half, lengthwise. I prefer to remove some of the breading inside the hoagie. If adding butter to the hoagies, spread some on each slice. Lay a slice provolone cheese on each slice of bread. Place the prepared hoagies on a baking sheet and place in oven for about 35 seconds. Watch closely so bread and cheese do not burn. My take a few seconds longer, depending on your oven.
Once bread is toasted, remove from oven. I like to drain the beef through a sieve to reduce the juices and place the beef on the bread. Serve with the au jus. Serve immediately.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 976kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 104g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 274mg | Sodium: 1767mg | Potassium: 954mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 515IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 460mg | Iron: 18.6mg