Easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich is finger-licking goodness. The hearty sandwich is full of tender beef, gooey melty cheese, and an au jus sauce. An awesome sandwich to serve for any weeknight.
Beef sandwiches are always popular for a tasty game-day sandwich too! French Dip Au Jus sammies
Looking for specifics on the recipe? Use the table of contents to click on sections of the recipe.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- French Dip Sandwiches are in my rotation of no-brainer delicious easy meals! The kind of meal that no one needs to fuss over.
- cannot tell you how crazy I am for a great French Dip Sandwich. They are amazing!
- This cheesy beefy sandwich is even better the slow cooker does all the work. Thus we have the tastiest Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich.
- French Dip Au Jus sammie is very easy to assemble and great for feeding a crowd.
🧾 Ingredient List
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- bottom round roast
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- canola oil if browning meat in a Dutch Oven
- yellow onion
- fat-free beef broth
- light soy sauce or Tamari
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Dijon mustard
- 1 Bay Leaf
- fresh thyme or dried thyme
- hoagie rolls
- salted butter, optional
- provolone cheese
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: Season the beef liberally with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Step 2: Two methods - Sear meat in a Dutch oven to brown all sides. Once browned place in slow-cooker, add onion, saute about 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
Second choice: After seasoning meat place in the slow cooker with onions without searing the meat.
Step 3: Add beef broth, Worcheshire sauce, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, bay leaf, thyme, and pepper.
Step 4: Cover and set for 5 to 6 hours on high or low for 7 to 8 hours. Shred beef with meat claws or forks.
Step 5: Slice the hoagie rolls in half. Lightly spread with butter. Top hoagie bread with provolone cheese and place under broiler for about 35 seconds. ( Watch the bread so it does not burn) Top with the shredded beef.
Serve with the Au Jus sauce. Strain the sauce if you do not want extra onions in the sauce.
👩🏻🍳 Eileen's Tips for Success
- Tougher cuts of meat such as the rump roast and bottom round work best for this recipe using the slow cooker.
- Searing the meat adds additional flavor and highly recommend not skipping this step.
📋 Frequently Asked Questions
Searing the meat adds amazing flavor to the sandwiches. I highly recommend taking the extra step by browning the meat.
After the beef is seared, add beef broth to the pan to pick up any brown bits in the bottom of the pan for additional flavor.
I use the Ninja 8-1 Multicooker which has a searing function and a slow cooker function which makes the whole process easy.
My favorite cuts of beef to use would be chuck roast, rump roast, or a bottom round roast as they are all great for slow cooking.
I love food history and the French Dip origins are no different for me. According to this interesting read, the French Dip originated in California at one of two famous eateries Coles or Philippe's.
Do you want to change up this recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- Broth: For a low-sodium option, use fat-free beef broth or low-sodium beef broth.
- Soy Sauce: The recipe can use low-sodium soy sauce.
- Gluten-free options would be using Tamari instead of soy sauce.
- Cheese: Other options are Swiss Cheese, Mozzarella cheese, or smoked Gouda.
- Bread: Hoagie Rolls, Italian bread, or French bread all work well. Be sure to
❄️ Make ahead, storage, and freezer tips
Leftovers can be stored in a covered airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The cooked meat can be stored in a freezer-friendly storage bag or container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a pan on the stovetop.
🥣 Serving Suggestions
Carmelized onions or sauteed mushrooms would both be delicious additions to these crock pot French dip sandwiches.
🍽 Similar recipes
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
- 4 pounds bottom round roast
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil if browning meat in Dutch Oven
- 1 large yellow onion peeled, halved,and sliced thin
- 14.5 ounce beef broth or homemade beef stock or homemade beef stock
- ¼ cup light soy sauce gluten-free use Tamari
- 3-4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 2 teaspoons salted butter softened, optional
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Rinse and dry meat. In a small mixing bowl, combine the black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Sprinkle the roast liberally with the seasonings.
- Method one- most preferred. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add the canola oil. Add the seasoned beef and brown on all sides. Place the browned beef in the slow cooker. To the pan, add the onions, saute for about 5 minutes to soften onions. Add about ¼ cup of the beef broth to the pan and use a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits at the bottom of the pan. To the slow cooker, Add all the onions, all the beef broth, soy sauce, Worcheshire Sauce, Dijon mustard, bay leaf, and sprigs of thyme or dried thyme.
- Method two- Add everything to the slow cooker without browning the meat.
- Place the lid on slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours. Shred beef with forks. The meat will be tender and pull apart easily.
- To prepare the hoagies. Place the broiler on high. Place oven rack on the third rack from the top of the oven.Slice rolls in half, lengthwise. I prefer to remove some of the breading inside the hoagie. If adding butter to the hoagies, spread some on each slice.
- Place a slice of provolone cheese on each piece of bread. Place the prepared hoagies on a baking sheet and place in the preheated oven for about 35 seconds. Watch closely so the bread and cheese do not burn. My take a few seconds longer, depending on your oven.
- Once bread is toasted, remove from oven. I like to drain the beef through a sieve to reduce the juices and place the beef on the bread. Serve with the au jus. Serve immediately.