Easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich, super delicious and full of tender, melt in your mouth beef, cooked with amazing flavors! An awesome sandwich to serve for any weeknight. These beef sandwiches are always popular for a tasty game-day sandwich too! French Dip Au Jus sammies are topped with onions cooked in the beef broth and yummy melted cheese! Dip the French Dip Beef Sandwiches in a delicious Au Jus sauce!
I cannot tell you how crazy I am for a great French Dip Sandwich! They are amazing! I love a great warm cheesy beefy sandwich! Even better is being able to make everything in the slow-cooker. Thus we have the most delicious Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich!
Slow Cooker French Dips are in my rotation of no-brainer delicious easy meals! The kind of meal that no one needs to fuss over. I have two methods when making these french dip sandwiches! I prefer taking one extra step and brown the beef before placing in the crockpot. Searing the meat makes an amazing crust. After it is seared, I toss in fat-free beef broth on the yummy brown bits in the pan and whisk them up from the pan! Yummo.
I have been in such a rush that I throw everything in the slow-cooker without browning the beef. My family says they cannot tell the difference. It is just me, I am a crazy cook who loves to sear and brown meat, no judging!
Tips to make a delicious Slow-Cooker French Dip Sandwich:
- I prefer to sear the beef in a pot before placing in the slow-cooker.
- Once the beef is seared and in the slow-cooker, I use beef broth to whisk up the brown bits.
- Bottom round roast is my preferred beef because it is leaner. You can use a chuck roast.
What are the origins of the French Dip sandwich?
I love food history and the French Dip origins are no different for me. According to this interesting read, the French Dip was originated in California at one of two famous eateries Coles or Philippe’s, go figure!
Do you want to keep the recipe healthified?
Use fat-free, low-sodium beef broth is a great way to keep calories and sodium down. Also, use low-sodium soy sauce and If gluten-free, Tamari works great too.
Let’s talk about the cheese on a French Dip Sandwich Recipe?
I am a provolone cheese girl. However, I will go with mozzarella or a smoked gouda. However, cheese is amazing on any sandwich so please eat what makes you happy!
Here are some other of my favorite slow cooker recipes I hope you enjoy:
I love being able to drop-in all the ingredients into the slow cooker, set the timer and go about my day. In addition to that wonderful fact, you will absolutely love how delicious your house smells. The broth, soy and Worcheshire sauce make an amazing combination and the aroma is crazy good. You will only need to shred the beef and warm your bread and cheese to melt the cheese. Easy breezy! The beef is melt in your mouth amazing.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich:
- Season the beef liberally with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Two methods – first choice Sear meat in a dutch oven to brown all sides. Once browned place in slow-cooker. Add onion to Dutch oven and saute about 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker. Second choice: After seasoning meat, place in slow cooker with onions.
- Add garlic, fat and salt-free beef broth, Worcheshire sauce, low-sodium soy sauce, Dijon mustard, bay, leaf, thyme, pepper, salt.
- Cover and set for high 4 hours or low 7 hours. Shred beef with a fork.
- Slice hoagie rolls in half. Lightly spread with a bit of butter. Top hoagie bread with provolone cheese and place under broiler for about 35 seconds. ( Watch the bread so it does not burn) Top with the shredded beef.
- Serve with the Au Jus sauce. Strain the sauce first if you do not want extra onions in sauce.
When you make these easy slow-cooker French Dip Sandwiches, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Are you loving these slow cooker French Dip sandwiches, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
Easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
The easiest recipe to make a delicious sandwich with melt in your mouth beef. The beef is served on a hoagie roll with melted provolone cheese and a tasty au jus sauce that adds amazing flavor.
- 4 pounds bottom round roast
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil if browning meat in Dutch Oven
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 14.5 ounce can of fat-free beef broth or homemade beef stock
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce gluten-free use Tamari
- 3-4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 2 teaspoons softened butter optional
- 12 slices provolone cheese
Rinse and dry meat. Combine in a small bowl, the black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Season the roast liberally with the seasonings.
Method one- most preferred. In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the seasoned beef and brown on all sides. Once browned, remove beef and place in slow cooker. Add the onions to the dutch oven, saute about 5 minutes to soften the onions. Remove onions and add to slow-cooker. Add some of the beef broth to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits at bottom of the pan. Add the broth into the slow-cooker. Add garlic, remaining beef broth, light soy sauce, Worcheshire Sauce, Dijon mustard, bay leaf, and sprigs of thyme or dried thyme.
Method two- Don't brown the beef in olive oil and add all ingredients directly to slow cooker
Place the lid on slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Shred beef with forks.
To prepare the hoagies. Place the broiler on high. Place oven rack on the third rack from the top of the oven.
Slice them in half, lengthwise. I prefer to remove some of the breading inside the hoagie. If adding butter to the hoagies, spread some on each slice. Lay a slice provolone cheese on each slice of bread. Place the prepared hoagies on a baking sheet and place in oven for about 35 seconds. Watch closely so bread and cheese do not burn. My take a few seconds longer, depending on your oven.
Once bread is toasted, remove from oven. I like to drain the beef through a sieve to reduce the juices and place the beef on the bread. Serve with the au jus. Serve immediately.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Need a few more amazing sandwich recipes, these are some of my favorite food bloggers best recipes:
Corned Beef Sandwiches by Sweet and Savory Meals
Pulled Chicken Sandwich by Sugar Spun Run