This Easy Potato Salad recipe is the perfect side dish for any cookout or picnic. It's a classic simple potato salad recipe made with potatoes, mayonnaise, sour cream, and your favorite seasonings. The best part about this potato salad is that it doesn't contain any eggs. It is super easy to prepare.
Looking for specifics on the recipe? Use the table of contents to click on sections of the recipe.
❤️ Why this recipe works
- This is a classic New York Deli style potato salad that's easy to make and always a hit.
- With just a few simple ingredients, this potato salad comes together in minutes.
- Plus, you can make it ahead so it's ready to serve at your meal or picnic.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- yellow potatoes
- yellow onion
- black pepper
- sour cream
- Dijon mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- celery salt
- fresh dill
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Boil the potatoes, onions, salt, and black pepper until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain the water from the potatoes, and add the potatoes back to the pot.
- While the potatoes cook make the dressing by mixing together mayonnaise, sour cream, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, paprika, celery salt, and fresh dill until well combined.
- Fold together the potatoes and dressing.
- Chill the potato salad with soup cream for at least one hour.
- Garnish with fresh dill and a bit of paprika over the top of the potato salad, serve, enjoy!
💭 Eileen's Tips for Success
- Be careful to not overcook your potatoes. You want them fork tender, but not mushy. The potatoes should boil for about 15 minutes.
- Try to dice the potatoes into similar sized pieces so that they cook evenly.
- Don't skimp on the chill time, that is important so that the flavors really soak into your salad.
📋 Frequently Asked Questions
New York potato salad is a variation of a classic American potato salad. It typically contains sour cream and celery.
Vinegar is a great addition to potato salad as it adds a nice acidity which helps to balance out the creamy dressing.
Yes, you can certainly use red potatoes in this recipe. Red potatoes tend to be slightly sweeter than yellow so they will slightly change the flavor of this potato salad.
Do you want to change up this recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- While this recipe doesn't contain hard boiled eggs, you can add them to this easy potato salad if you prefer.
- In place of the mayonnaise, you can use an equal amount of plain Greek yogurt for a tangy twist.
- You can also add any other favorite herbs and spices like garlic powder or onion powder.
- Add a hint of spice to this eggless potato salad by adding a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- A shredded carrot can be added to the salad.
⭐ How to store, reheat, and freeze
Storage - Store this potato salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze - Unfortunately, potatoes don't freeze well so I do not recommend freezing this potato salad.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
- Serve this New York Potato Salad with this Easy Grilled Pesto Chicken. It's a simple yet flavorful meal that can be on the table in no time.
- Or for another summer time favorite protein give these Grilled Citrus Chicken Kabobs. They are the perfect meal for family cookouts.
- This Grilled Corn on the Cob is one of my favorite side dishes to make in the summer on grill nights or at potlucks.
- Marinated chicken drumsticks, one of our most popular recipes would be perfect as the main dish with this potato recipe.
- Juicy Lucys, every burger could use a side of potato salad.
🍽 Similar recipes
- This Bacon Ranch Potato Salad is creamy and flavorful. It makes an excellent side dish for your family.
- Watergate Salad is another one of my favorite desserts or side dishes to make during the summertime. You don't have to worry about heating up the house and it's so refreshing.
- Homemade Macaroni Salad is a lightened up version of this classic picnic staple. You won't regret making this simple salad.
- Old Fashioned Kidney Bean Salad would be another great side dish to serve with this salad.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Easy Potato Salad
- 2½ pounds yellow potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- water enough water to cover the potatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt divided 1 teaspoon/ ½ teaspoon
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill or ½ teaspoon dry dill
- ¼ cup celery diced, about 2 to 3 stalks
- chopped fresh dill optional garnish
- paprika sprinkle a dash of paprika over the top
- In a large pot over medium-high heat add the potatoes, diced onions,1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Be sure the water covers the potatoes by about ½ inch.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil and reduce heat to medium so the potatoes simmer until fork tender, about 15 minutes. (no need to cover with a lid)
- Once cooked through, drain the water from the potatoes. Place the potatoes back in the pot over a low flame for about 30 seconds to ensure the water has drained. Set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, paprika, celery salt, and fresh dill until well combined. Give the dressing a taste test and adjust any seasoning, if needed.
- Add the cooled potatoes into the dressing and gently fold to combine all ingredients. Cover the potato salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate for least an hour up to overnight.
- Sprinkle fresh dill and a bit of paprika over the top of the potato salad, serve, enjoy.