Creamy mushroom barley soup recipe is a hearty soup with robust flavors that canned soup cannot achieve. One of my favorites loaded with a fragrant woody flavor from the shrooms. It’s also low-calorie and makes a great vegetarian dinner choice. Serve with a simple cucumber tomato salad. Feeling festive, serve with a slice of Irish Brown Bread.
Creamy Mushroom Barley Soup
We are huge soup fans and this one is a favorite. When I am focusing on losing a few pounds, I eat more soup because it is filling and always delicious. This soup comes together quickly with just a few minutes of prep work. The mushrooms can vary to what you have on hand. I use white button most often because they are budget-friendly and easy to find.
- Mushrooms: white button or baby Bella are the best for this recipe. They are inexpensive and flavorful.
- Barley: Barley is a hearty grain. No need to soak it before adding to the soup either. Just give it a rinse before adding.
- Milk: The recipe uses low-fat. You can use full-fat milk.
- Onions: Yellow onions add another level of flavor
- Worcestershire sauce: Adds umami to the broth.
- Herbs and Seasoning: fresh herbs are always welcome but dried can add great flavor too.
- Unsalted butter: not listed above, whoops.
How to make Creamy Mushroom Soup with Barley
- Melt butter in a stockpot. Saute mushrooms, onion, salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley for about 4 minutes to soften.
- Stir in flour and blend a minute to blend in flour to veggies.
- Pour in veggie stock, water, Worcheshire, barely, milk, and simmer for 35-40minute.
- Taste for seasoning, reseason if needed. Serve with optional garnish, chopped fresh parsley, or thyme.
Expert Tips and Facts
- The recipe uses 3 cups of mushrooms. The beauty of the recipe is it can use any combo of your favorite mushrooms.
- We use water or veggie stock for additional liquid, depending on what is in the pantry. When I use water, we let it simmer about 15 extra minutes and add a bit more herb to the liquid.
- If you want a dairy-free/vegan soup, use almond milk instead of milk. Also, use vegan butter.
Creamy mushroom barley soup is a great make-ahead soup. The flavors blend after being in the fridge overnight. The soup can keep in the fridge, well covered for up to 3 days. Always refer to the USDA storage tips for specifics. I don’t freeze this soup because the mushrooms and the milk don’t freeze well.
- For a more veggie-filled soup, add in diced carrots and celery with the mushrooms and onions.
- Portobello or crimini mushrooms would be a great choice for mushrooms.
- Swap shallots for the yellow onions.
- Vegan options: use vegan butter and almond milk.
Some other soups you may enjoy:
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, this post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy
Don’t forget to shop at the Everyday Eileen store on Amazon.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below!
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
I love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments
Creamy Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter Note 1
- 3 cups sliced button mushrooms Note 2
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt Note 3
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Note 3
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups 2% milk Note 4
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup barley, rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon Worscheshire Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme Note 5
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley Note 5 additional fresh parsley for garnish
- In a medium stockpot, over medium heat, add butter, let melt.
- Add in mushrooms and onions, saute about 5 minutes, to soften veggies.
- Season veggies with salt and pepper. Add in the flour and stir for about 1 1/2 minutes to blend in the flour with the veggies.
- Pour in the veggie stock, milk, water, barley, Worscheshire Sauce, thyme, and parsley. Reduce heat to low. Cover pot with lid, simmer for about 30-35 minutes. Barley will be soft and cooked, flavors blended.
- Taste for seasoning, reseason if needed. Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley or thyme as a garnish.