This creamy mushroom barley soup recipe is a hearty. It has robust flavors that canned soup cannot achieve. One of my favorites loaded with a fragrant woody flavor from the shrooms.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- The beauty of the recipe is it can use any combination of your favorite mushrooms.
- If you are looking for a budget friendly soup, use white button mushrooms.
- For a creamy soup, it is still low in calories.
- Its a great vegetarian soup that is low-calorie and easy to prepare.
- Mushrooms: white button or baby Bella are the best for this recipe. They are inexpensive and flavorful.
- Barley: Barley is a hearty grain. No need to soak it before adding to the soup either. Just give it a rinse before adding.
- Milk: The recipe uses low-fat. You can use full-fat milk.
- Onions: Yellow onions add another level of flavor
- Worcestershire sauce: Adds umami to the broth.
- Herbs and Seasoning: fresh herbs are always welcome but dried can add great flavor too.
- Unsalted butter: not listed above, whoops.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Melt butter in a stockpot. Saute mushrooms, onion, salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley for about 4 minutes to soften.
- Stir in flour and blend a minute to blend in flour to veggies.
- Pour in veggie stock, water, Worcheshire, barely, milk, and simmer for 35-40minute.
- Taste for seasoning, reseason if needed. Serve with optional garnish, chopped fresh parsley, or thyme.
Leftover soup should be kept in an airtight covered container for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
I don't freeze this soup because the mushrooms and the milk don't freeze well.
Expert Tip: The mushrooms can vary to what you have on hand. I use white button most often because they are budget-friendly and easy to find.
- The recipe uses 3 cups of mushrooms. The beauty of the recipe is it can use any combo of your favorite mushrooms.
- We use water or veggie stock for additional liquid, depending on what is in the pantry. When I use water, we let it simmer about 15 extra minutes and add a bit more herb to the liquid.
- If you want a dairy-free/vegan soup, use almond milk instead of milk. Also, use vegan butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely. If you prefer a thicker soup. Whisk together 1-2 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour and ¼ cup the warm soup broth until it is smooth, then add it back to the soup and let simmer at least another 15 minutes.
It is best to rinse barley before using in cooking to remove and dirt from the grain.
- For a more veggie-filled soup, add in diced carrots and celery with the mushrooms and onions.
- Portobello or crimini mushrooms would be a great choice for mushrooms.
- Swap shallots for the yellow onions.
- Vegan options: use vegan butter and almond milk.
Soup and a salad is always a classic, an Arugula salad with a simple vinaigrette.
This sun-dried tomato, spinach, and pork sandwich is quick and easy to prepare.
Homemade Hawaiin Rolls would be delicious dipped into this tasty mushroom barley soup.
One of our favorite breads with any soup is our Brown Bread recipe. So delicious and a hearty bread for any soup.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Recipe is another delicious vegetarian soup.
- Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder is a favorite of my family and friends.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is a great soup loaded with flavor
The form you have selected does not exist.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for the continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need. D
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Mushroom Barley Soup
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter Note 1
- 3 cups sliced button mushrooms Note 2
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt Note 3
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Note 3
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups 2% milk Note 4
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup barley, rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon Worscheshire Sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh thyme Note 5
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh parsley Note 5 additional fresh parsley for garnish
- In a medium stockpot, over medium heat, add butter, let melt.
- Add in mushrooms and onions, saute about 5 minutes, to soften veggies.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Add in the flour and stir for about 1 ½ minutes to blend in the flour with the vegetables.
- Pour in the veggie stock, milk, water, barley, Worscheshire Sauce, thyme, and parsley. Reduce heat to low. Cover pot with lid, simmer for about 30-35 minutes. Barley will be soft and cooked, flavors blended.
- Taste for seasoning, reseason if needed. Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley or thyme as a garnish.