Grilled Pesto Chicken, tender and juicy boneless chicken breasts coated with homemade nut-free basil pesto for the most aromatic meal. It uses just 2-ingredients and it's both low-carb and low-fat. Don't have a grill, no worries, I'm including instructions to bake it in the oven. Always a crowd-pleasing recipe that's been in my family's recipe rotation for years.
Grilled Pesto Chicken
For the pesto, I make a ton of it all summer long with fresh basil from the garden. I also freeze it to use year-round.
- Chicken Breasts: I always use boneless chicken breasts that are about 4-5 ounce boneless pieces. Feel free to make the chicken into kabobs.
- Basil Pesto: Use my homemade recipe. made nut-free and it's also low-carb. You can also use store made pesto for a quick solution.
- Use another of your favorite pestos, such as spinach arugula, sun-dried tomato, or artichoke pesto.
- Make kabobs with the poultry and you can add your favorite veggies such as tomatoes, zucchini, or mushrooms.
- Instead of grilling, bake the chicken in the oven. Instructions in the recipe below.
Pro tips and facts
- Spray grill with non-stick spray to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Preheat the grill to about 425 degrees then turn down to about 350-375.
- The poultry will take about 10-12 minutes to cook and the internal temperature should be 165°F.
- For easy grilling, be sure the meat is cut around the same thickness so they grill evenly.
- When making ahead of time, the chicken can be kept in freezer-safe bags in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Always consult the USDA for specific facts on storage.
Some other favorites you will enjoy:
What can I serve with Pesto Chicken?
- Eggplant Caprese Salad
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh
- Caesar Salad
- Grilled Asparagus
- Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
Enjoy some summer refreshments such as:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Shop this Recipe:
Check out the store, Everyday Eileen we continue to update it regularly with my favorite products.
How to make Grilled Pesto Chicken:
- Make your Basil Pesto, or use store-bought.
- Trim any excess fat from the poultry.
- Brush the chicken all over with the pesto.
- Spray grill grates with nonstick spray. Preheat grill to high, about 425 degrees.
- Grill chicken until it reaches 165 degrees temperature.
- Serve with your favorite sides.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram with @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for the continued support. I am forever grateful.
I love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share any comments.
Easy Grilled Pesto Chicken
- 4 medium boneless chicken breasts, about 6 ounces each Note 1
- ½ cup homemade skinny basil pesto Note 2
Grilled Pesto Chicken
- Preheat the grill to 425 degrees. Brush the basil pesto evenly on each chicken breast. Be sure to put pesto on both sides of chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium, about 350 degrees, and place chicken on the grill. Cook about 5-6 minutes per side. Internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees.
- Let chicken rest about 5 minutes to let the juices settle. Slice and serve
Baked Pesto Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 375° degrees. Coat a medium-sized casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Brush the basil pesto evenly on each chicken breast. Be sure to put pesto on both sides of the chicken.
- Place chicken into the prepared casserole dish.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken will be 165° when chicken is cooked through.
- Serve chicken with your favorite sides, enjoy.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.