My Old Fashioned Coconut Custard Pie Recipe is a delicious super creamy pie filled with yummy coconut flavor. One of my easiest pies that are always requested by family and friends.
The pie has triple coconut flavor from the cream of coconut (which is actually creamless), coconut extract and shredded coconut! The perfect amount of coconut without being too sweet.
Homemade Coconut Pie is so easy to make, you will never want a store bought pie again!#PiDay
I have been planning a recipe for today which is #PiDay for some time. I had a pie in mind. I was chatting with my son, who’s here for a visit from California.
He insisted I share this recipe for Old Fashioned Coconut Custard Pie! His favorite dessert and I think he picked an awesome recipe! Spot on amazing and delicious!
Cooking is a love of mine from a small age. In the past, I have always baked from recipes! My youngest, Dee is an awesome baker and has inspired me to get courageous and create.
This Old Fashioned Coconut Custard Pie is one that I am proud to call my own! I have made this countless times and have worked on the flavors.
Can Coconut Custard Pie be frozen?
As much as I love the ability to make ahead many recipes. Custard Pies do not freeze well. As they defrost, they tend to get watery. Since it is an easy pie filling, it does not affect a lot. You can freeze the homemade flaky pie crust which can always reduce prep time.
How long can coconut custard pie or any custard pie be kept in the fridge?
This coconut custard pie and any other custard pie I have made stays fresh for 2-3 days wrapped well in the fridge.
What is the difference between coconut custard and coconut cream pie?
Coconut custard pie is usually milk based and coconut cream has heavy cream as an ingredient. My coconut custard pie takes the best of both, coconut cream and milk make an amazing pie filling.
I have been thinking, how long have I been making this coconut pie, I wish my math was wrong but it’s at least 30 years. I wish I could tell you I came out of the womb making this pie, haha!
However, to be positive, this is such a popular pie with my family and friends. It is one of my most requested pies and it’s really easy to make!
I have a homemade flaky pie crust, that is so flaky and delicious. I make a few at a time and freeze them.
Please feel free, if time is an issue to use a store made pie crust, no judging here, ever! We all have busy lives and adjustments are needed.
If I am in a time crunch. I’d rather make a healthy under 30 minutes meal than make a pie crust. It’s all about moderation.
Useful tools to make Old Fashioned Coconut Custard Pie:
- Ninja Blender/Food Processor: I upgraded to this after my blender burned out! Love it! Durable, easy, always a great job!
- 9 1/2 inch round pie pan: My first glass pie pan. I still use is this one! My Granny gave me one in high school.
- Cooling Rack: Although this is 3 tier, not necessary for 1 pie, I love it for minimizing space! Great for baking cookies.
- Coconut Cream: Make sure you are using the correct cream of coconut. This is the one I use always! Works so well.
How to make Old Fashioned Coconut Custard Pie:
- Either make a homemade flaky pie crust or store made.
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and combine for about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut custard to the pie crust.
- Bake the coconut pie at 350 in center of oven. Begin checking at 30 minutes. The middle will jiggle slightly when done. The coconut custard pie will finish cooking as it cools.
To celebrate #PiDay, a group of my favorite food bloggers has come together to celebrate many versions of pies! This event is hosted by the fabulous Coleen who runs The RedHead Baker!
I just love her blog. Besides being a fellow ginger, Coleen is an amazing baker and recipe creator. Do yourself a favor and follow Coleen for amazing recipes! In addition, below are the #PiDay Recipes. They are all awesome and I cannot wait to make all of them.
Pi Day Pie Recipes
- Beef Stew Pot Pie with Homemade Puff Pastry Topping by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Brownie Mint Pie by Family Around The Table
- Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Chocolate Mint Pie by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Velvet Pie with Meringue Crust by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Streusel Topped Carrot Pie by Cooking With Carlee
- Coconut Chess Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Crazy Easy No Bake Key Lime Pie by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Easy Buttermilk Pie Recipe by West Via Midwest
- Easy Lemon Pie by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
- Lamb, Basmati Rice, and Grape Leaf Pi(e) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mini Lemon Meringue Pies by Cookaholic Wife
- Mixed Berry Mini Pies by Bear & Bug Eats
- Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie by Everyday Eileen
- Shamrock Shake Pie by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Smoked Salmon and Herb Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Lemonade Pie by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Pie by Palatable Pastime
- Torta Pascualina (Spinach Ricotta Pie) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Upside Down Apple Pie by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Here are a few other tasty coconut recipes:
ONCE YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, I’D LOVE THE SEE IT.
TAKE A PIC AND TAG ME @EVERYDAY_EILEEN OR #EVERYDAYEILEEN
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Love this recipe, give it a 5-star rating! Comments and ratings are always appreciated.
Old Fashioned Coconut Custard Pie
A delicious coconut custard pie filled with coconut flavor and not too sweet. Super easy to prepare using coconut cream, milk, coconut extract, coconut flakes and a flaky pastry shell. One of my most popular requested recipes.
- 1 9-inch buttery flaky pie crust, or store bought crust
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup cream of coconut ie Coco Lopez
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure coconut extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the pie crust in the 9-inch pie plate or use a store made pie crust.
In a blender, combine milk, cream of coconut, shredded coconut, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and coconut. Blend for about 3 minutes. Add to the prepared flaky pie crust. Place the pie on a cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. At 35 minutes, check the center of pie. You do not want to over bake. Pie is done when the center is wobbly. As the pie rests, the center continues to cook.
To Make Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie using a hand mixer
In a large bowl, combine milk, cream of coconut, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and coconut. Blend for about 3 minutes. Add the coconut mixture to the prepared flaky pie crust. Place the pie on a cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. At 35 minutes, check the center of pie. You do not want to over bake. Pie is done when the center is wobbly. As the pie rests, the center continues to cook.
Once the pie is cooked. Remove from oven to a cooling rack. Let cool completely. Can be stored 2 days wrapped in the fridge. Serve and enjoy. I add no cream or any decorations as this pie is awesome on its own and needs nor further sweets. Feel free to add whip cream if you feel it.
all nutritional value is estimated. This can fluctuate due to portion size and ingredients.