Cheesy Sausage and Egg Casserole is kicking off my recipes for Easter Brunch Week! My friends, this breakfast casserole is ah-mazing! The family requests it all the time! It is truly one of the easiest breakfast recipes with delicious ingredients! #ad #EasterWeekBrunch #MadewithEB
This is also a low-carb breakfast casserole made without potatoes or bread and it’s so flavorful from the sausage and veggies!
A perfect addition to any meal or Brunch!
This egg casserole is one of those recipes that’s so quick and easy. You can either make it ahead or prep and bake all at once.
If you haven’t made an egg casserole, you are missing out! They are easy to prepare and always delicious! A great way to feed a family or a large crowd quickly too! Perfect for any Holiday!
As the first day of Easter Brunch Week, I had to give you an easy recipe that is going to be a must make in your recipe rotation! You are going to love this tasty Sausage and Egg Casserole!
Eggland’s Best is one of our sponsors for Easter Brunch Week! I have been a fan of their eggs from early on! My Mom and I started using their products over 15 years ago!
Be sure to checkout their website for more details about their products and nutritional information!
Sausage Egg Casserole:
When my kids were small I quickly realized I needed to have a slew of easy recipes that I could prepare quickly. I love breakfast but I don’t love getting up in the morning! Having recipes on the ready that can pop in the oven or reheated is a big plus for me!
Whether you are having everyone in for Easter brunch or want an egg dish that can be made ahead and used throughout the week, this is your recipe!
Sausage and Egg Casserole is one of those recipes that you are going to love making! Even my older daughter who is not a meat lover, likes this recipe! It is filling too! I love that anyone can stick it in the oven to reheat!
Common Questions to make a great Egg Casserole:
What is in a Sausage and Egg Casserole?
The egg casserole is filled with flavor from sausage, pepper, shallots, broccoli, red peppers, and cheese! Such a delicious breakfast casserole that is also low-carb and Keto friendly.
Can I swap out an ingredient in the Egg Casserole?
I love the versatility of this casserole. Follow the recipe exactly or sub out an ingredient! My Mom doesn’t like broccoli, so I substitute spinach or zucchini when I make her this recipe.
What cheese is best to make a tasty Sausage and Egg Casserole?
Cheddar is generally what I use as that is what my family enjoys. Colby Jack, Swiss, Gruyere cheese all work! Any combo your family enjoys will work.
The recipe uses frozen broccoli florets, can fresh broccoli be used?
After making this breakfast casserole many times, frozen broccoli florets are the easiest! If using fresh broccoli florets, add them in with the red pepper. You may need to saute about 5-6 minutes to ensure the broccoli is cooked through.
Can this Breakfast Casserole be frozen?
Yes. After baking you can freeze the extra pieces individually, well wrapped and defrost overnight as needed. Reheat at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Pro tips for making a great Sausage and Egg Casserole:
- Use fresh breakfast sausage and remove from casing.
- Saute the sausage, drain and discard excess fat so your casserole is not greasy.
- After trying both fresh and frozen broccoli florets. Frozen broccoli is easier to use for this recipe.
- Semi-defrost the broccoli and chop it up for the casserole.
- Pre-shredded cheese can be used as a shortcut in this recipe.
How to make Sausage and Egg Casserole
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Saute the sausage meat until all browned.
- Remove sausage and set aside. Drain off any excess fat from the pan
- Saute shallot and red pepper about 4 minutes.
- Add in and saute the broccoli for another minute.
- Stir in the cooked crumbled sausage.
- Pour the sausage mixture evenly into the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, parsley, basil, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt to combine well.
- Pour over the sausage mix.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. The center of the casserole should not be jiggly! (jiggly being my very technical cooking term)
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Let it sit a few minutes. Slice and enjoy!
Give us a like on FACEBOOK
For great recipes and tips, follow along on Pinterest
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Are you loving this recipe, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated
Sausage and Egg Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, removed from casing
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets, semi defrosted and chopped Note 1
- 10 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- non-stick baking spray
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or another of your favorite cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, spray saucepan with non-stick spray.
- Saute breakfast sausage, shallot, red pepper, and broccoli until sausage is brown and veggies are soft. Set aside.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, milk, parsley, basil, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt.
- Pour egg mixture into the casserole dish.
- Add the sausage and veggies to the casserole dish. Stir to blend ingredients.
- Bake 25 covered with aluminum foil.
- Remove foil. Let bake another 5 minutes to cook through.
- Serve, enjoy.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes
A huge thank you to Ang, who writes Juggling Act Mama!
Ang set this whole week up! She compiled a great group of talented food bloggers together. Everyone has a blast sharing amazing recipes! Ang has gathered the best sponsors who have donated great prizes!
Easter Brunch Week Details and Giveaway
This week, we’re sharing loads of Easter recipes and celebrating the upcoming holiday with an amazing giveaway, sponsored by Eggland’s Best, GROSCHE International, Hamilton Beach, Nordic Ware, Rhodes Bread, Silpat, Stonyfield and Wewalka. You can read more about these awesome sponsors HERE.