Easy to prepare, low-carb, low-fat and delicious are these Healthy Vegetable Egg Muffin Cups! Use your summer veggies and in the winter, swap out other veggies that work for you and your family for these make ahead muffins! A perfect addition to any brunch, or Holiday brunch celebrations!
Whether it is school, work, summer sports, I need easy breakfasts! Don’t you too? I am a night owl, insomnia stinks, not many get it unless you suffer from the disorder, but it is what it is! So when morning comes, I just have to get into Mom mode, despite my lack of sleep! Thus, my need to create little wonders, as this recipe for Healthy Vegetable Egg Muffins Cups!
These are perfect year round. I grow peppers and tomatoes. I make roasted peppers and tomatoes and freeze them to use all winter. However, for the summer, I am blessed to have a garden full of tomatoes and peppers. If you don’t garden, utilize your local farmers markets! For those living in cities, seek out your cities farmers market! If you are visiting NYC, we have a wonderful Farmers Market, ( no-affiliation,just love farm stands) so I am sure everyone can find a decent farmers market! These Healthy Vegetable Egg Muffin Cups freeze really well also!
- Use veggies your family loves.
- Keep in mind water content, zucchini releases a lot of water. Drain excess.
- If adding spinach or kale, they also release a lot of water. drain excess water, if using leaf veggies.
- I make a huge batch and divide into freezer bags.
- Cooked veggies can adjust the color of the egg muffins, if they have a lot of excess moisture. This has no effect on flavor.
- Freeze really well. Perfect for meal planning!
Having a brunch, you may want to try these recipes :
SAVE THIS RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARDS! FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST! I’M ALWAYS PINNING FROM TALENTED AND AMAZING BLOGGERS WITH CREATIVE RECIPE AND DIY IDEAS!
Tag #everydayeileen or @everyday_eileen on Instagram with your recreations of my recipes! Love seeing and sharing what you create!
CONNECT WITH ME ON:
Subscribe to my newsletter to never miss a recipe!
Thank you for the continued support! I am forever grateful!
Healthy Vegetable Egg Muffins
- 1/2 cup orange pepper,diced
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup Plum Tomatoes, diced
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup egg whites I use carton egg whites
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup green zucchini, diced, squeeze out excess water
- 1/2 cup yellow zucchini, diced, squeeze out excess water
- 1/2 cup low-fat shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground Italian Seasoning, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- non-stick cooking spray
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 count and 6 count regular sized muffin trays with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a saucepan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, over medium heat, add the orange pepper, yellow pepper, red pepper, and plum tomato. Season with 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes to soften the veggies. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, and milk.
- To the egg mixture, add green zucchini, yellow zucchini, pepper/tomato mixture, low-fat cheese, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly into the muffin tins. Bake for about 15 minutes. The eggs will be firm to the touch
- Muffins can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days, reheated in oven or microwave. Store egg muffins in freezer bags to be eaten at later date.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actually dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
- Extremely important to squeeze out excess water from the zucchini, otherwise the muffins will have too much water.
- Feel free to change the veggies to please yourself and family.
- When I freeze these, I take them out of the freezer and place in the fridge. Re-heat the muffins, wrapped in aluminum foil for about 10 minutes.
- These can also be microwaved to warm them up.