Blueberry sour cream waffles are super easy to prepare. Who needs to go out for waffles when you can make these tasty waffles at home and limit the calories! Using whole wheat flour and low-fat sour cream and the blueberries gives a lower fat and healthier waffle treat!
My sweet son, Aidan, gave me the greatest waffle maker for Christmas…yes, I love cookware as a gift at any time..I am a cheap date! I have been playing with so many recipes using the waffle maker and this is a favorite!
I have been writing my blog for just about a year and I realized my favorite meal is breakfast and I have too few recipes for breakfast. By the way, breakfast for dinner is a favorite of everyone in my family except my son, Matt. He miraculously finds a gig to play or a party when I start thinking waffles or pancakes for dinner. I’m fine with that, more waffles for me!
So you know my secret, breakfast and a waffle maker! I have taken my waffles and swapped out white flour and used wheat flour. I use low-fat sour cream and for this recipe, I have used fresh blueberries and also frozen..results are the same
Everyday tip: When blueberries are on sale, buy extra and freeze on a cookie sheet for about an hour, then place the blueberries in freezer bags for future recipes. Very cost effective!
When you make one of my recipes, tag me with #everydayeileen so I can see what you are making I will share it too!
I hope you like this recipe, and if so, please share the love on Facebook, Pinterest, or your favorite way of relating to your friends and family, and please continue connecting with me on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Bloglovin, Google Plus
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Blueberry Sour Cream Waffles
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup blueberries
- non-stick butter spray
- Pre-heat waffle maker to medium hot heat. Spray with non-stick butter spray
- Sift together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the turbinado sugar and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg whites, light sour cream, and low-fat buttermilk.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Depending on the waffle maker, add the batter and follow waffle maker instructions to complete.
- Any nutritional value used is an estimate. These figures can change based on ingredients and portion size.