Who doesn’t love french toast! How about an Easy Skinny French Toast! Great flavors without being full of calories! Such a great addition to a breakfast or brunch! Perfect to make ahead and reheat for your family! Make a double batch and freeze some for later!
I hope you all had a fabulous weekend! To all the Moms, I hope you had a joyous and family filled Mother’s Day! The hubs and two of our children had work but I had a great day with my two youngest! We had a lot of laughs! They both love to cook and my son, Aidan makes amazing breakfasts! He has always loved this super Easy Skinny French Toast recipe that I have been making for years. He has now taken this recipe on and makes it quite often!
We love this one because it’s a filling breakfast without leaving us with the need for a nap! I have used many different types of bread over the years! We have decided the best one for this recipe is an Italian bread. Whether you use a white, wheat or gluten-free Italian bread, all work well! We have made this with each of these and the french toast always tastes amazing! I love Cleansing Cranberry Tea or Detox Lemon Ginger Green Tea! If you are having a brunch, these go great with Spinach and Mushroom Frittata, a great make ahead dish!
We make this a lot for our Holiday brunch celebrations because it’s a perfect make-ahead french toast. This one freezes really well! When I do a day of meal prep, this always is on the list. We put the slices into small freezer bags with 2 or 3 already made slices. They can be microwaved or taken out of the freezer the night before and defrosted in the fridge, by morning! ( I am not a huge microwave person – don’t judge me :), I grew up with my Nana from Ireland who thought a dishwasher was a mod-con (modern convenience), that didn’t clean the dishes like she did!
Save this recipe to your FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARDS! Follow along on PINTEREST! I’m always pinning from talented and amazing bloggers!
tag #everydayeileen or @everyday_eileen on Instagram with your recreations of my recipes! Love seeing and sharing what you create!
Connect with me on:
Subscribe to my newsletter to never miss a recipe!
Thank you for the continued support! I am forever grateful!
Easy Skinny French Toast
- 8 slices Italian bread, 1 inch thick
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup egg whites I use carton egg whites
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 large orange peel, finely zested
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- non-stick cooking spray
- fresh blackberries, blueberries and strawberries to garnish
- 100% pure maple syrup to garnish
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Spray with non-stick butter spray. If making a large batch preheat oven to 170 degrees to keep the cooked french toast warm.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, 2% milk, orange zest, orange juice, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Submerge each piece of Italian bread into the egg mixture. Shake excess egg mixture off the bread.
- Add each piece of bread to the skillet. Cook on each side about 4 minutes, to ensure a crispy outside and fluffy interior.
- Keep cooked pieces warm in a 170-degree oven if making a large batch.
- Garnish with the fresh fruit and 100% maple syrup
- These are amazing for a make-ahead breakfast/brunch.
- To reheat, heat oven to 325 degrees, place french toast in a large casserole pan and wrap with aluminum foil for about 10-15 minutes to warn the French Toast.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.