Enjoy tender, smoky grilled Asparagus that uses just a few ingredients and is ready in no time.
Looking for specifics on the recipe? Use the table of contents to click on sections of the recipe.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Grilling asparagus on a grill or grill pan is quick, easy, and uses just a few simple ingredients.
- This easy grilled asparagus recipe is the perfect side dish for any main dish recipe.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- black pepper
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Preheat grill to 425°F/ 218°C or high heat.
- Trim the bottom of the stalk, about 1 inch from the asparagus. ( The ends can be used in vegetable stock)
- Season the asparagus with olive oil, garlic salt, and black pepper.
- Reduce heat on the grill to medium, about 375°F to 400°F or medium heat.
- Place the asparagus in the grill pan, diagonally so they do not go through the grate.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Moving the asparagus occasionally so they do not burn.
- Serve and enjoy!
💭 Eileen's Tips for Success
- If using thin asparagus, use a vegetable grill pan to prevent the veggie from falling through the grill grates.
- When cooking thicker asparagus spears, peel the outer layer for tender asparagus.
📋 Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Trim up the very bottom of the stems, about the length of a thumbnail. The bottom is a bit woody and it does not taste great. Trim the ends. Add the ends to your discarded veggie stock to make homemade veggie stock or add to your compost heap.
If using very thin spears, I place the asparagus in foil to prevent any spears from falling through the grates.
When making this grilled asparagus recipe, if the asparagus is thin, they will be tender, and peeling the outer layer is not necessary.
Very thick asparagus can be peeled to give a more tender flavor to the asparagus.
Discard the trimmings, add to the compost heap, or add to your veggie trimmings to make homemade veggie stock.
It is important to always season food to add flavor. The olive oil will also prevent the asparagus from sticking to the grill.
Add fresh Parmesan Cheese to the finished asparagus for added flavor.
Any favorite seasoning such as homemade seasoning salt, garlic powder, and herbs will enhance the flavor.
Place the fresh asparagus upright in a container with fresh water at the bottom of the container. Keep them in the refrigerator until ready to grill.
Do you want to change up this recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- Use any favorite oil such as avocado oil, olive oil, or grapeseed oil.
- Add Parmesan cheese, blue cheese, or feta to the finished grilled asparagus.
- A squeeze of lemon juice will add a nice citrus flavor to the veggies.
- If you prefer to marinate the asparagus before grilling, drizzle balsamic vinegar over the vegetables.
- In lieu of garlic salt, add Kosher salt and garlic powder to the spears.
⭐ Make ahead, storage, and freezer tips
If grilling asparagus ahead of time, wrap the grilled asparagus in foil and reheat for a few minutes to warm up. We also love to munch on room-temperature asparagus.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
Air Fryer Pork Chops are delicious and juicy and would be perfect with the parmesan grilled asparagus.
Marinated Chicken Drumsticks are one of our most searched for recipes and gets rave reviews.
Grilled Apricot Chicken is juicy and tender and the glaze is ah-mazing.
Check out all our grilling recipes here.
🍽 Similar recipes
Roasted lemon asparagus is a great side dish for any meal.
Nothing is more simple that this tasty roasted broccoli recipe.
Our super popular green bean recipe is so popular and once you try it, you'll know why it has been made thousands of times.
Next time, make some of our grilled vegetable recipes here:
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, TWITTER
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Grilled Asparagus Recipe
- As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed or snapped off ends trimmed or snapped off, Note 1
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese, shredded optional Note 3
- Preheat the grill to 450°F
- Season asparagus with olive oil, black pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder.
- Reduce heat on the grill to about 375°F. Lay the asparagus diagonally on the grill so the asparagus will not fall through the grates. You can also use a vegetable grill pan.
- Close the lid on grill for about 1-2 minutes. Open the lid, move around the asparagus to let the stalks finish cooking, to your desired tenderness, another 2 minutes. Sprinkle fresh Parmesan cheese on the asparagus after they are removed from the grill!