Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana, an aromatic Tuscan soup with a creamy broth, spicy ground sausage and hearty kale. A super popular soup at many restaurants. This homemade version is over the top scrumptious. Make your own cost-effective, super delicious version at home, anytime. If you don’t own an Instant Pot, don’t worry, I’ll include stovetop instructions for you.
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
This is one of those soups that screams comfort food. Zuppa Toscana is an Italian Tuscan soup. I’ve taken the version our families version and made it even easier by using an Instant Pot to cook the soup. The vessel locks in the flavor so quickly and the end results are mouthwateringly delicious.
When making the soup, the ingredients I use are the base of this soup that we use most often. The recipe uses spicy ground sausage. You can use sweet sausage. Feel free to change up the ground sausage for ground chicken or turkey. You can also use either pancetta or bacon.
Replace the kale with either spinach, escarole, or Swiss chard. Heavy cream can be an alternative to the half and half.
For my Keto friends, replace the potatoes with cauliflower.
Chicken stock can replace veggie stock as the base.
This is a great freezer friendly soup. Feel free to make an extra batch to keep in the freezer. The soup can be kept about 3 months in the freezer. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat either on the stove or microwave.
Once the soup is made, keep in the fridge in a covered container for up to 3 days. For specific guidelines to leftovers, the best source is the USDA leftover guidelines.
Step by Step Instructions
2. Spray inner pot with a little bit more cooking spray. Add in onion and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes until they start to soften. Then add in your garlic. Sauté both onion and the garlic for an additional minute.
4. Close the lid and push the valve to seal. Set pot to high pressure for nine minutes. Once the time is up, do a quick release by pulling the valve toward you and releasing the pressure.
Some other of our favorite recipes using sausage are:
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- cooking spray
- 1 pound mild or spicy Italian ground sausage Note 1
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 Tablespoons garlic, minced Note 2
- 4 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped Note 3
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups fresh kale, chopped Note 5
- ½ cup half and half Note 4
- salt and pepper, to taste
Instant Pot Instructiions
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Spray inner pot with cooking spray. Add the sausage to the heated inner pot. Brown meat, about 5 minutes, there will be no more pink on the sausages, remove the sausage, set aside.
- Spray the inner pot with a little bit more cooking spray. Add in the diced onion. Sauté onions for about 3 to 4 minutes, until they start to soften. Then, add in your garlic. Sauté both onion and the garlic for an additional minute.
- Place the sausage back into the instant pot. Add in the potatoes, stock, and Italian seasoning
- Lock the lid on your instant bought by twisting it closed and close the valve. Set Instant Pot to high pressure for nine minutes. Once the time is up, do a quick release by pulling the valve toward you and releasing the pressure.
- Give your soup a good stir, and then add in your cream and chopped kale
- Taste the broth, if needed, add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer the soup to your favorite soup bowl. Serve and enjoy.
- Spray the bottom of a large soup pot or Dutch oven, place over medium heat. Add the ground sausage to the pot. Brown your meat. Once fully cooked, remove the sausage, set aside.
- If needed, spray your pot with a little bit more cooking spray. Add in the diced onion. Sauté your onions for about 3 to 4 minutes, until they start to soften. Then, add in your garlic. Sauté both onion and the garlic for an additional minute.
- Place the sausage back into the instant pot. Add in the potatoes, stock, and Italian seasoning. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Simmer the stock about 15 minutes. The potatoes will almost be cooked. Add in the chopped kale and cook about another 5 minutes. Potatoes will be fork tender and kale tender.
- Add in cream to warm, about another 2 minutes.
- Taste broth for seasoning. If needed, season to taste, with salt and pepper.