Guinness Beef Stew
A traditional Irish Stew made with Guinness Stout! Loaded with potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, and parsnips. A hearty stew that is easy to prepare and slow roasted. Freezes well
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 3 minutes
Total Time 33 minutes
Servings 10 servings
- 3 Tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds bottom round roast beef, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 white potatoes, peeled and chnopped
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeeled and chopped
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- 14 oz Guinness Stout, can divided
- 32 oz low-fat low-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 14 oz low-fat low-sodium beef broth optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Dredge the cubed beef in the seasoned flour mixture.
In a dutch oven, over medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil. Add 1/2 the cubed floured beef to brown, Do not overcrowd the pan, so meat can sear.
Remove the browned beef from heat and reserve. Add the other 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to the heat and sear the second batch of cubed round beef. Remove seared meat to a reserved plate. Place white potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and celery into the pot and saute approximately 2 minutes.
Add to dutch oven 1/2 can of the Guinness Stout. Scrape up all the brown bits to blend with beer. Add the low-sodium low-fat beef broth. Add back to Dutch Oven, browned beef.
Add the dried marjoram, parsley, and thyme.
Place the Dutch Oven in the preheated oven for one hour. After one hour, add the remaining liquid from the can of Guinness Stout!
If needed, add the 14 oz can of low-sodium beef broth. Place back in the oven for another 3 hours.
After the 3 hours, check the seasoning and serve! Can be frozen!
- Can be frozen! Lovely to defrost and reheat!
- all nutritional value is estimated. This can fluctuate due to portion size and ingredients.
Calories: 295kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 431mg | Potassium: 1025mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6780IU | Vitamin C: 15.7mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 4.5mg