Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
Quick and easy prep time goes into making the most delicious Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup. All your ingredients go right into the slow cooker. Set it and come back for a great meal!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 32 ounces chicken stock, low-sodium Note 1
- 14 ounces homemade enchilada sauce Store made enchilada sauce can be used. Note 2
- 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed
- 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes Note 3
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or canned corn
- 4 ounce can of green chiles, chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin Note 4
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon black pepper, depending on your preference
- salt, to taste
Garnish for Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
- sour cream, optional
- shredded Mexican cheese, optional
- jalapeno, optional
- fresh cilantro, optional
Into a slow cooker combine chicken breast, chicken stock, enchilada sauce, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chopped green chiles, diced onion, and minced garlic.
If using store made enchilada sauce add in the cumin. Using my recipe for enchilada sauce. Wait until recipe is finished slow cooking. The recipe usually doesn't need extra cumin.
Add a dash of salt and pepper.
Place lid on slow cooker. Set timer for low, 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
When cook time is complete. Chicken will be cooked through. Remove and shred the chicken.
Return chicken to the slow cooker. Check seasoning, add cumin if needed.
Serve with garnishes above.
Note 1: Low-sodium is my first choice to keep the salt at a minimum. Regular chicken stock can be used.
Note 2:My homemade enchilada sauce makes about 14 ounces. If using a store made can of enchilada sauce they usually come in 10 ounce cans. You will need to add a little extra chicken broth or water to equal 14 ounces. You may also need to add a little extra cumin.
Note 3: Add all the juice from the can of diced tomatoes to the slow cooker.
Note 4: If using my recipe homemade enchilada sauce recipe, you may not need any additional seasoning. If using a store made enchilada sauce, you will need the cumin and possibly a little more chili powder.
Note 5: Cook on low 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
Note 6: Rinse the beans before you add them to the slow cooker to remove the liquid from the can.
Chicken Enchilada Soup Variations:
- For added creaminess, add some cream cheese at the end of cooking.
- Add some extra veggies like peppers or jalapeños
- Use beer in lieu of chicken broth for a flavor twist.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 1188mg | Potassium: 1137mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 641IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 4mg