Homemade Easy Enchilada Sauce, This is one for the books. I have been making this for years. The family loves it and so will you. You will never buy a store made sauce again.
This sauce is super easy to make. When I was working as a flight attendant many, well the year doesn’t matter, (wink) I was in New Mexico and got chatting with a woman who gave me this recipe.
It was her family’s recipe for red sauce, and it is delicious. I have adjusted the spices over the years, and you are going to love it.
Easy Enchilada Sauce
The base of my quick enchilada sauce is chicken broth. A good chicken broth makes anything taste great. Use homemade or your favorite store made broth.
The sauce simmers for about 15 minutes and the flavors are fantastic!
FAQS about Easy Enchilada Sauce:
Can you freeze Enchilada Sauce?
One of the best things about this recipe, besides tasting fabulous is how easy it is to prepare! Make a large batch and freeze however you like. 1-cup, 2-cup etc.
Can you make enchilada sauce ahead of time?
Absolutely, you can make it and keep in the fridge for about 3 days in a well-sealed container.
Can I use Vegetable stock instead of chicken stock to make the sauce?
Sure, vegetable stock works just fine. Make sure it's a good brand or homemade.
What can you make with this Homemade Easy Enchilada Sauce:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Breakfast Enchiladas
- Vegan Jackfruit and Black Bean Enchiladas from Make it Dairy Free.
- Turkey Tamale Pie from Cooking with Carlee: A tasty one pan dinner.
- You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com
Shop this recipe:
- 3 ½ Quart Sauce Pan: I like this pot and use it a lot for sauces.
- Silicone Whisk: Doesn't scratch pans, love it!
Check out my store. I am always updating great finds for not just cooking, I hope you check it out here, Everyday Eileen I will continue to update it regularly!
When you make any of my recipes, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions below!
PLEASE CONTINUE TO CONNECT WITH ME:
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, TWITTER
Easy Enchilada Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 -2 ½ Tablespoons Chili Powder Note 1
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 14 ounce chicken broth
- Into a medium saucepan, over medium heat add the oil and flour.
- Whisk for at least 2 minutes to combine flavors.
- Add in Chili Powder, Ground Cumin, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Dried Oregano, Black Pepper, and Salt. Whisk for a few seconds.
- Whisk in chicken stock. Continue to mix to combine all ingredients.
- Turn heat to low and simmer enchilada sauce for about 20 minutes.
- Check seasoning, reseason if needed.
- Enchilada sauce keeps in the fridge for at least 5 days well covered. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Super easy to make and flavourful! I will make this instead of buying. How do I make it a red sauce? Add tomato paste?
Hi Diane, you can add about 1 teaspoon of tomato paste to the enchilada sauce for a more red color. I'm so glad you enjoy the sauce.
Not a Lab Rat
Flavorful and easy to make.
Good blend of spices
But, I will add less chili powder next time. In my opinion it made the sauce too gritty and over powered all the other spices. I used half olive oil with garlic flavor and half canola oil. Added 2 tbs of fresh minced onions and one clove of crushed fresh garlic.
Thank you for sharing.
Hi Diana, I am glad you enjoyed the enchilada sauce. I am not sure what you mean by the chili powder making the sauce gritty. It should blend in just like the other spices but I'm glad it did 't impact the end results for you.
I love that you used a variation and made the sauce your own with the minced onions and garlic. Thank you so much for taking the time to review the recipe and have such great suggestions for others.
I have never made homemade enchilada sauce but I liked your recipe and it was so easy. I can’t believe how much better it tastes than a can Sauce
I am so glad you enjoy the enchilada sauce. It is easy to make, enjoy!