Homemade Easy Enchilada Sauce, This is one for the books. I have been making this for years. The family loves it and so will you. You will never buy a store made sauce again.
This sauce is super easy to make. When I was working as a flight attendant many, well the year doesn’t matter, (wink) I was in New Mexico and got chatting with a woman who gave me this recipe.
It was her family’s recipe for red sauce, and it is delicious. I have adjusted the spices over the years, and you are going to love it.
Easy Enchilada Sauce
The base of my quick enchilada sauce is chicken broth. A good chicken broth makes anything taste great. Use homemade or your favorite store made broth.
The sauce simmers for about 15 minutes and the flavors are fantastic!
FAQS about Easy Enchilada Sauce:
Can you freeze Enchilada Sauce?
One of the best things about this recipe, besides tasting fabulous is how easy it is to prepare! Make a large batch and freeze however you like. 1-cup, 2-cup etc.
Can you make enchilada sauce ahead of time?
Absolutely, you can make it and keep in the fridge for about 3 days in a well-sealed container.
Can I use Vegetable stock instead of chicken stock to make the sauce?
Sure, vegetable stock works just fine. Make sure it’s a good brand or homemade.
What can you make with this Homemade Easy Enchilada Sauce:
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Breakfast Enchiladas
- Vegan Jackfruit and Black Bean Enchiladas from Make it Dairy Free: These are absolutely delicious enchiladas.
- Turkey Tamale Pie from Cooking with Carlee: A tasty one pan dinner, uses enchilada sauce! So good and easy to prepare.
You may also enjoy:
Pin to make any time:
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com
Shop this recipe:
- 3 1/2 Quart Sauce Pan: I like this pot and use it a lot for sauces.
- Silicone Whisk: Doesn’t scratch pans, love it!
Checkout my store. I am always updating great finds for not just cooking, I hope you check it out here, Everyday Eileen I will continue to update it regularly!
When you make any of my recipes, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions below!
PLEASE CONTINUE TO CONNECT WITH ME:
Easy Enchilada Sauce
- Into a medium saucepan, over medium heat add the oil and flour.
- Whisk for at least 2 minutes to combine flavors.
- Add in Chili Powder, Ground Cumin, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Dried Oregano, Black Pepper, and Salt. Whisk for a few seconds.
- Whisk in chicken stock. Continue to mix to combine all ingredients.
- Turn heat to low and simmer enchilada sauce for about 20 minutes.
- Check seasoning, reseason if needed.
- Enchilada sauce keeps in the fridge for at least 5 days well covered. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.