Homemade Pico De Gallo is a healthy salsa made with fresh tomatoes! It's so easy to prepare! Perfect as a dip for tortilla chips. Great on quesadillas, tacos, eggs, use your imagination and enjoy! Perfect for any party and gives a boost to your Cinco De Mayo feast!
A fresh tomato salsa is one of the greatest dips or toppings ever! During the summer months, I make Homemade Pico De Gallo a few times a week! This tomato salsa is is so delicious and easy to make! It is great with shredded beef tacos, grilled chicken, or Grilled Mexican Pork! Enjoy this pico with a big bowl of chips!
Use your imagination, Pico is awesome with so many recipes!
Authentic Pico De Gallo Ingredients:
- fresh tomatoes
- lime juice
- fresh diced onions
Pico is a really refreshing dip that works great with tortilla chips and many other things. Keep in mind, the possibilities are endless! I love pico de gallo as a topping for my eggs and feel free to add as a topping to steak, pico away to your heart's content!!
Homemade Pico De Gallo is perfect with:
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef and Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas, which also make great tacos and quesadillas!
- Add into shredded beef tacos or use in chicken tacos!
- Serve it alongside Roasted Tomatillo Salsa aka Salsa Verde at your next taco party and of course Cinco De Mayo!
- Oh, and don't forget to sip on a refreshing Skinny Pineapple Mango Frozen Margarita with Chili Salt Rim! These are perfect together!
Homemade Pico De Gallo
Want my secret for the best Homemade Pico De Gallo?
For me, the secret to a great pico de gallo is taking the base of garlic and the onions and letting them marinate in the lime juice for a few minutes. I usually do this while I am seeding and dicing the tomatoes.
What are the best tomatoes to use for Pico De Gallo?
I use fresh plum tomatoes for the best pico!
Can Pico De Gallo be made ahead of time!
I find making my pico in the morning and using that same day is best. However, well covered you can make pico de gallo a day ahead. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
What is the difference between Pico De Gallo and Salsa?
Pico is made using fresh tomatoes. Salsa is a more of a puree of tomato and spices.
Pro Tips for Making Authentic Pico De Gallo:
- Start with the onion, garlic, and jalapeno and let them sit in the lime juice while you dice the tomatoes to enhance the flavors.
- Scoop out the seeds from the tomato and place them in freezer bags and store in the freezer.
- Next time you are making tomato soup or Vegetable Stock, add in the tomato centers for flavor! No wasting food!
How to Make Homemade Pico De Gallo:
- Dice onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Place in a bowl with the lime juice.
- Slice tomatoes in half remove the seeds. I use a spoon to scoop the insides out. See pro tips for how to use the interior tomatoes.
- Put the diced tomatoes into a bowl.
- Add in the chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the onion mixture. Check seasoning.
- Reseason if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Shop this Recipe:
- Extra Large Cutting Board: Everyone needs a few great cutting boards for the kitchen! This is a favorite of mine.
- My favorite Salsa bowl: This is the cutest salsa and pico bowl. Perfect for a shower, teacher, or co-worker gift too!
DON’T FORGET TO SHOP THE EVERYDAY EILEEN STORE ON AMAZON!
I have a lot of my favorite items featured there!
I hope you enjoy this pico de gallo! Love to hear how it turns out for you!
Save this recipe to your FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARDS! Follow me on PINTEREST for amazing recipes ideas, travel, and more!
Feel free to leave me any comments or questions below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Love this easy Pico De Gallo, please give it a 5-star rating is super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
Thank you for the continued support! I am forever grateful!
Pico De Gallo
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 6 whole plum tomatoes, seeded and diced Note 1
- 3 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 whole jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the minced garlic and red onion in a bowl. Add the juice of the lime and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add to the bowl, the tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno,and salt and pepper.
- The pico is best when the flavors marinate for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Keeps in fridge for about 3 days..it never lasts past 2 in my house!
- any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.