Mouthwatering Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is an easy recipe that is so versatile! They are perfect in tacos, quesadillas, Mexican casseroles, endless possibilities! Great for Cinco De Mayo, tailgating, game day, any family gathering!
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
This is of my favorite recipes to make because the fam LOVES it and it's easy peasy. The beef slow cooks all day so the spices blend with the meat and the aroma in the house is fabulous.
Best Cut of Beef
Rump roast is my favorite cut for this recipe. A tougher cut of meat that holds up in slow cooking. Chuck roast and bottom round are also great with this recipe. I refer to Beef It's What's for Dinners website for tips on cuts of beef.
Storage and Freezer Info
This is an easy recipe to make ahead of time, up to 2-3 days. It can be kept in the fridge in a covered container. The shredded beef freezes really well. My tip, when a roast is on sale I always buy one or two for this recipe to keep in the freezer. Defrost overnight in the fridge and use the beef in any of your favorite Mexican recipes like a taco casserole.
- Trim the beef of excess fat before seasoning.
- Using the slow cooker, cook on low for about 7 - 8 hours and on high, 4-5 hours. The time really depends on the slow cooker. Mine cooks the meat in 7 hours. The meat will be tender and shred easily.
- My slow cooker has been working well with this calculation, for slow cooking 2 hours for every pound of meat. For high heat, 1 hour for every pound produces tender results.
- Don't have a slow cooker or stovetop instructions included in the recipe.
- Browning the meat is an extra step but it adds amazing flavor to the meat. I have made this by placing the meat in the slow cooker without browning. It is very good but I love that added flavor from browning.
- To shred the beef, use either meat claws or two forks to pull the meat apart.
What to serve with Mexican shredded beef
Having a party? Make a taco table with this shredded beef, Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas,
and don't forget the classic Frito Pie recipe, all delicious!
Don't forget a batch of tasty Skinny Pineapple Mango Frozen Margarita with Chili Salt Rim, they are amazing and about 180 calories per serving! YUMMY!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, this post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy
Shop this recipe:
Slow Cooker: I love this 7-quart vessel, we use this a few times a week.
Meat Claws: Makes shredding the meat so easy.
Don’t forget to shop at the Everyday Eileen store on Amazon
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below!
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
Beef Rump Roast
- 1 large onion, peeled, sliced ¼ inch half moons
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 10 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 cup fat-free beef broth Note 2
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Season the rump roast with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven, over medium heat, add the corn oil. Sear the rump roast to brown on all sides. Set aside.
- Into the slow cooker, mix together the onion, garlic, no-salt diced tomatoes, fat-free beef broth, diced jalapenos, chipotle powder, chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, black pepper, and salt.
- Add the browned beef to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7- 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. The cook time will vary slightly depending on the slow cooker and the size of the roast. Note 1
- Use a fork to shred the beef.
- Serve as tacos, quesadillas, carnitas, nachos, enchiladas. Endless possibilities.
- After step 1, remove the beef from the pot, set aside.
- Into the pot, saute the onion for 2-3 minutes. Onions will begin to soften. Mix in the garlic, and saute another minute to blend flavors.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, beef broth, diced jalapenos, chipotle powder, chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, black pepper, and salt.
- Add the browned beef back into the pot. Reduce heat to low to simmer about 3 hours. Meat will be fork tender when cooked completely. Shred with claws or forks. Ready to serve.