There is nothing better than a big bowl of perfectly seasoned beef over tender rice and all your favorite fixings to make a mouthwateringly scrumptious Burrito Bowl. My friends, you'll never need a chain restaurant again to get your Mexican food fix. Make these fantastic bowls for dinners, family parties, kids' get-togethers, and endless possibilities.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- These burrito bowls are very versatile. So many options.
- These beef burrito bowls are great for family dinners and parties.
- Make a big pot of beef and surround it with all the toppings. Everyone can make their own bowl with all their favorites.
- ground beef, 80/20
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- black pepper
- smoked paprika or regular paprika - smoked paprika adds a nice smoky flavor.
- fire-roasted diced tomatoes - fire-roasted gives a nice char to the tomatoes which add flavor to the burrito bowl.
- green chiles
- black beans
- white rice
- plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- fresh cilantro - please use fresh cilantro. Dried cilantro will not do justice to the crema.
- garlic clove
- black pepper
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, saute the beef to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, green chilies, oregano, and spices.
- Mix in the black beans and corn.
- Let simmer about 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve rice topped with beef mixture and your favorite toppings.
How to make the Crema
- In a blender, add avocado, Greek yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Blend to mix ingredients. The mixture will be thick. If needed add a teaspoon or two of water to thin crema to drizzle or dollop on the burrito bowl.
The ground beef mixture can be made ahead of time, for up to 2 days and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight covered container.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight covered container for 3 days.
To reheat, use a microwave, following the manufacturer's instructions.
For oven reheating, reheat at 350°F, until everything is warmed through.
Keep the Avocado Crema in the refrigerator for up to 2 days in an airtight covered container.
The meat can be frozen for up to 3-4 months, based on Beef It's What's for Dinner storage guide.
Looking for expert tips about beef, check out Chuck Knows Beef, from Beef It's What's for dinner. So full of information, tips, and recipe guidance.
Expert Tip: These are a great meal prep recipe for lunch or weeknight planning. Store ingredients in separate containers and prep the bowl as needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
The ingredients are consistent with what is usually in a burrito but in bowl form/.
It really depends on what you are adding to your bowls and burritos. The tortilla has carbs in it which is in addition to what goes into it or a bowl. In general, there can be less calories in a bowl.
They are a Tex-Mex recipe.
- Swap out the beef and use flank, sirloin, or hangar steak in the burrito bowl recipe. Season the meat. Slice and saute the steak for about 8 minutes, until the desired level of doneness.
- Make a chicken burrito bowl and use either ground chicken or boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs.
- Any of your favorite beans such as red beans, pinto beans, or kidney beans can be used in the recipe.
- For the corn, use leftover corn on the cob.
- In lieu of rice, brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.
- Salsa can be used instead of fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Taco seasoning can be used in lieu of the spices.
- Use this ground beef mixture to make quesadillas, taco lasagna, or burritos.
- Optional additions can be cumin, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and ground coriander.
- Pico de Gallo would be a delicious topping for the burrito bowls.
- Roasted Tomatillo Salsa is a great option for the bowls.
- Guacamole is a must for my bowl.
- Avocado Crema, the recipe is below and it is delicious.
- Sour Cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and Mexican blended cheese, limes, and a squeeze of lime juice would all be delicious toppings.
- Fresh chopped cilantro adds a nice fresh flavor to the recipe.
- Cilantro lime rice would both be a fantastic base for any burrito bowl.
- We use long grain rice but any rice including quick-cooking, brown rice, or basmati are all delicious options.
- For keto fans use either cauliflower rice or serve on a bed of romaine lettuce or any of your favorite lettuce choices.
- Vegan Burritos are another delicious recipe we make often. Great for meal planning too.
- Beef Jerky Dip is delicious and loaded with beef jerky.
- Roast Beef Tortilla Roll-Ups is another quick and easy recipe everyone will love.
- One-Pot Chili Mac is a family favorite and a one-pot wonder.
- Mexican shredded beef tacos are made in the crockpot and are another quick, easy recipe.
- Chipotle Chili is a hearty chili recipe and a great weeknight meal.
Meal Plan Ideas
These beef burrito bowls are great to use in your meal plan. You can make all your ingredients and keep them in separate airtight covered containers.
This is also a great freezer meal I generally freeze the rice and beef together in one large bag. I tend to try and flatten the bag so they store in the freezer one on top of another.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for the continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Beef Burrito Bowl
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, cooked cooked according to box instructions
Beef Burrito Bowl
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef Note 1
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika Note 2
- 10 ounce can, fire-roasted diced tomatoes Note 3
- 4 ounce can,chopped diced green chiles
- 15.5 ounce can, black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed Note 4
- Cook rice according to manufacturers instructions.
- Heat a skilllet over medium heat, add ground beef to brown, about 5 minutes. Break up beef untill cooked through, there will be no pink will be in the meat.
- Remove and discard any excess oil in pan.
- Add to the cooked beef, dried oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder,salt, and black pepper, and smoked paprika. Stir to combine.
- Mix in fire-roasted diced tomatoes, chopped green chiles, black beans, and corn. Increase heat to high, bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover pot with a lid, reduce heat to a low.Simmer for 15 minutes to blend flavors and throroughly cook meat. Note: The meat is not incredibly spicy. If you prefer more spice, feel free to add a bit more chili powder.
- After the meat simmers, taste for seasoning. Re-season if needed.
- Serve in bowls with rice and your favorite toppings, avocado wedges, shredded cheese, sour cream, lime wedges, fresh chopped cilantro. Drizzle with avocado crema.
- In a blender, add avocado, Greek yogurt, lime juice, fresh cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend to combine.
- If mixture is very thick, add 1 Tablespoon of water and blend.
- Taste for seasoning. Re-seaason if needed.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve drizzled on burrito bowls.