Easy chipotle chili is comfort in a bowl with just the right amount of spice from chipotle peppers in adobo, spices, and beans! This is a scrape the bottom of the bowl, what do you mean it’s all gone, kind of chili!
The smoky flavor from the chipotle peppers adds an amazing depth of flavor making this one of the easiest and best chili recipes!
The family is super busy so I have been focusing on make ahead and freezer friendly meals! Chipotle Chili is all of these – easy, make ahead and freezer friendly! Make a double batch and freeze some for later!
Delicious Chipotle Chili is a crowd pleasing recipe!
Top this mouthwatering one pot wonder with your favorite toppings and you have the best chili recipe on the block!
Chipotle Chili Ingredients:
ground beef, onion, garlic cloves, can of diced tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, can of black beans, can of kidney beans, chipotle in adobo, Mexican chili, oregano, cumin, black pepper, and salt
Why we love this Chipotle Chili!
My son, Aidan is a bit of a chili expert! He is my go-to spice guy! He loves to cook and really loves to be the taste tester! I make many different types of chili and he is my helper for most of them!
This is my standard beef chili recipe and from here the possibilities are endless! Aidan loves this chili and we developed this recipe together!
There is a fabulous smokiness from the chipotles in adobo that makes this chili extra flavorful! The Mexican Chili powder has the perfect amount of kick to make this a family favorite!
Chili is one of those go-to meals that is perfect for a weekday meal, perfect for a tailgate party, or pot luck!
Chipotle Chili FAQs:
How long should I cook chili?
For this recipe, using ground beef, simmer over a low heat for about an hour will blend the flavors and give you a great chili!
Is chili better the next day?
Like a good marinara sauce, many say chili tastes better the next day! If possible, make your chili the day before and reheat when ready to eat!
Can chipotle chili be frozen?
Yes, store in either a freezer bag or use a foodsaver machine to store the chili in the freezer for about 3-4 months.
I want to thicken my chili, what can I use?
If you need to thicken your chili, use a Tablespoon of flour mixed with some of the chili liquid and whisk together. Add back into the chili. DO NOT add the flour directly to the chili, it can clump and not dissolve well.
The chili is too spicy and I need to sweeten it up, what can I add?
If your chili is too spicy, adding a little honey will lighten the spice. Add a teaspoon at a time, stir, and check the flavors.
What goes well with Chipotle Chili?
- Weight Watchers Caesar Salad: A delicious salad with a kick from poblano peppers
- Tomato Cucumber Salad from Finding Zest is a great salad that would be a nice side salad with the chili.
Pin to make later:
Other easy crowd pleaser recipes you may enjoy:
Chicken Mole: Delicious rich mole sauce with chicken! Man this one is good!
Mexican Shredded Beef: The beef makes great tacos, quesadillas, and nachos.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thank you so very much for being apart of Everyday Eileen!
Shop this recipe:
Pro tips to make a great chipotle chili:
- Be sure to brown the beef and drain the excess fat. Ensures your chili won’t be greasy.
- This recipe calls for low-fat toppings. Full fat can be used, a personal preference.
- Be sure to simmer over low heat and stir occasionally. You do not want a burnt bottom
How to Make the Best Chipotle Chili:
- To a large Dutch oven over medium heat add ground beef, onions, and garlic till browned. Drain off excess fat.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, all the drained beans, and spices.
- Simmer for about an hour, stir occasionally.
- Check seasoning, reseason if needed.
- Serve with toppings.
I hope you make this Easy Chipotle Chili! It is so super easy and always a big hit with my family and friends!
Have you ever made homemade chili?
What are your favorite things to add to your chili recipes?
When you make my Chipotle Chili, please take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions below!
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below!
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below!
Original recipe published September, 2016 text and photos updated!
Easy Chipotle Chili
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 30 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and black pepper, to taste Note 1
- olive oil cooking spray
- low-fat sour cream optional
- low-fat Mexican cheese optional
- jalapenos optional
- chopped freh cilantro optional
- 1 large avocado, sliced thin optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, spray pan with olive oil cooking spray.
- Add the lean ground beef, diced onion, and minced garlic, saute until meat is brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Drain any excess fat.
- Stir in the drained diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, drained black beans, drained kidney beans, chopped chipotle peppers, Mexican chili powder, dried oregano, and ground cumin. Season to taste with black pepper and salt.
- Reduce heat to low and place the lid on Dutch oven. Simmer for about an hour. Stir occasionally.
- Check seasoning and adjust if needed. Serve in bowls with toppings on the side.
- The calorie count does not include optional toppings as they can vary.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes