Cucumber tomato salad is a favorite budget-friendly recipe that is ready in minutes and a great side salad to any meal. I make this year-round. During the summer, we enjoy this salad daily with garden-grown veggies.
Every deli I frequent sells this salad for a crazy price. I’ve got to tell you, its a delicious salad that takes minutes to put together. Make it ahead of time and it stores well in the fridge so you can enjoy it over a few days
Cucumber Tomato Salad
This is a go-to quick and easy, no cooking needed side salad you’re going to love. In minutes, slice up the veggies and make quick dressing and you’re ready to enjoy this salad. This is a great base salad and depending on need, add in more ingredients for a more intense flavored salad.
Ingredients and variations:
Cucumbers: The recipe uses regular cucumbers, however, English cucumbers can be used for this salad. English cucumbers are usually wrapped in plastic and a bit more expensive which is why I generally use regular cukes.
Tomatoes: I use either vine ripe or Roma, depending on what is freshest.
Green Onion: Adds a mild flavor to the salad. Feel free to try a chopped shallot, yellow or red onion.
Red Wine Vinegar: This vinegar is my first choice for this salad. Feel free to try balsamic or any of your favorite vinegar.
Italian Seasoning: A great spice blend but feel free to try fresh herbs when available such as basil and parsley.
Additions to the salad:
Any of these are great additions to this salad:
- feta or goat cheese
- diced avocado
- chopped artichokes
- sliced Kalamata olives
Do I have to peel the cucumber?
This is a personal choice but you do not have to peel the cucumber. This salad, I prefer chopped and I peel the cucumber. If I make large chunks of the veggies, I tend to leave them unpeeled.
How to chop the cucumber:
This is a chopped salad and we prefer the seeds removed.
- Use a spoon to remove the seeds.
- Slice the cucumber in half.
- Then cut each half down the center to make 4 slices.
- Chop the cucumber into small pieces.
- This is an easy make-ahead salad. I find it best to give it at least an hour in the fridge to blend flavors.
- We make this as a chopped salad. Feel free to make it with larger slices of veggies.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for about 2 days in a covered container. Always refer to Food Safety for specifics.
Some other recipes you can enjoy:
Coconut Cucumber Splash is a refreshing cocktail with the option for the over 21ers.
Greek Chicken Salad is a flavor-packed meal loaded with Greek flavors.
Red Lentil Salad is a grain salad with a zesty lemon vinaigrette.
Apple Walnut Salad is a vegetarian salad with a delicious maple vinaigrette.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, this post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy
Shop this recipe:
- vegetable peeler: Every kitchen needs a good peeler.
- storage bowl with lids: Great bowls with lids to store foods securely in the fridge.
Don’t forget to shop at the Everyday Eileen store on Amazon
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below!
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Chopped Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped Note 1
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and green onions in a bowl, set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the cucumber tomato mixture, gently stir to combine.
- Refrigerate at least 30 - 60 minutes to let flavors blend.