This Homemade Taco Seasoning is the best! It's so easy to make and it tastes so much better than store-bought. Plus, it's made with all-natural ingredients so you can feel good about using it.
This Mexican blended seasoning is perfect for those nights when you're craving Mexican food but don't want to go out. Just whip up some tacos, burritos, or enchiladas with this seasoning and you'll be in for a treat. Trust me, once you try this homemade seasoning, you'll never go back to the store-bought stuff again!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- It's so easy to make! Just mix all the ingredients together and you're done.
- It tastes so much better than store-bought taco seasoning.
- This recipe can save you a trip to the grocery store instead of having to buy taco seasoning.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Cracked Black Pepper
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or jar and mix well.
- Use immediately, or store in the pantry for 10-12 months.
How to store, reheat, and freeze
- This easy taco seasoning recipe is best stored in an airtight covered container like a mason jar in a cool dark cabinet or pantry for up to six months.
Expert Tip: Add some cornstarch to the meat when you add the homemade Mexican seasoning if you want to the seasoning to stick to the meat as a packet does.
- You will need to use between two and four Tablespoons for this recipe. I also recommend that you start with two tablespoons and adjust accordingly.
- The spice level of chili powder can vary greatly by brand, so test the spice level by using it if you are using a new brand to you.
- The best taco seasoning mix is the one that you make yourself because you can adjust the seasoning to your family's taste buds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Taco seasoning is made with varying amounts of chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and pepper.
As a rule of thumb, we use one Tablespoon of Mexican seasoning per pound of meat. However, you can use more if you prefer a stronger taste.
Cumin is the most common spice in Mexican food.
If you want to make your seasoning less spicy, simply use less chili powder. You can also add a bit of sugar to help offset the heat.
Do you want to change up this recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- If you are not a fan of onion or garlic flavor you can cut the amounts of these by half.
- If you want to add a spicy kick, add ½ teaspoon of crushed red peppers.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar to your taco seasoning if you prefer a small amount of sweetness.
- If you want the taco seasoning to be a fine powder you can crush it up in a mortar and pestle or a small food processor.
- Are you looking for a healthy low-carb recipe to use this easy taco seasoning recipe in? If so, this Zucchini Taco Boats is the recipe that I would recommend you try next.
- Skillet Beef Ground Tacos is the classic recipe that you are looking for when it comes to using this homemade seasoning.
- If you are looking for a kid-friendly taco-flavored recipe, then look no further than this Instant Pot Taco Spaghetti. It's flavorful and cheesy and always a hit with the family.
- This Apple Pie Spice is a fall-flavored staple that should always be in your spice cabinet this time of year.
- If you are looking for a way to spice up your meals at home, whip up a batch of this Homemade Cajun Seasoning. It will add some delicious flavor to your meal.
- Seasoned Salt is simple to make, and once you try this homemade version will never go back to the preservative-filled brand at the store again.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Whisk all ingredients the chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder,smoked paprika, oregano, cracked black pepper, and salt in a small bowl or jar and mix well
- Use immediately, or store in the pantry in a covered airtight container or mason jar for 10-12 months.