Kale Pesto, is herbaceous, cheesy, garlicky, with a hint of citrus from lemon. It’s one of our favorite nut-free pestos that can pair well with everything from roasted spaghetti squash, baked chicken, to roasted salmon.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Kale is an affordable veggie.
- Check out the health benefits via the Mayo Clinic.
- Pesto freezes well.
- Homemade pesto has no added preservatives.
- Add all ingredients into the food processor
2. Blend the ingredients until smooth and the texture you desire.
3. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Frequently asked questions
- If you find the pesto to be a little bitter from the kale, add a dash of honey to balance the flavors. Every now and then, a batch of kale can be a bit more peppery.
- Be sure to wash the kale and basil to remove before beginning the recipe.
- Use a salad spinner or cloth towel to dry the veggies.
- Don’t use the stems in the pesto. They have too much of a bite. Place the stems in a freezer bag with other veggie scraps to make a vegetable stock.
- This is a simple recipe with just a few ingredients, use the best Parmesan cheese in your price range. It is worth it to have amazing tasting results.
Keep the kale pesto in an air tight storage container in the fridge for up to five days.
For longer storage, freeze the pesto in ice cube trays. We generally put two Tablespoons of pesto in each cube so we know what we always have ready. Once they are frozen, place them in a freezer safe storage bag or container.
Take them out of the freezer as needed. Defrost in the fridge for a few hours or microwave the frozen cube for a few seconds to thaw it out.
If adding to a soup, just toss the frozen pesto into the soup and it will melt in nicely. The pesto defrosts fairly quickly in the fridge too.
Grilled Pesto Chicken would be just as delicious using this veggie pesto.
Change up the pesto on our Spinach Pesto Pizza and enjoy with all that cheesy goodness.
If you are like me and a Kale Lover, try our Kale Chips, so good and easy.
Our Kale Pomegranate Salad is a favorite for many as well.
Pesto is an amazing condiment that works so well with so many recipes. Nut-free pesto has proven to be one of our most popular recipes so I think everyone is going to love this pesto recipe.
Kale is a year round favorite veggie that is also very affordable. It can also be grown quite easily in your garden and it can be frozen to use later. Adding a bit of basil to the kale makes a fabulous pesto recipe that can be used on grilled meats, veggies, pastas, and soups.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below.
Kale Pesto Recipe
- 3 cups chopped kale Note 1
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese Note 2
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place kale, basil, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor.
- Add in about ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Blend until everything is broken down and smooth.
- Taste for seasoning, if needed adjust seasoning. (Note 3)
- Store the pesto in an airtight container in your refrigerator.