Our Ham Bone Soup Recipe is one of my favorite ways to use leftover ham. The soup is loaded with hearty white kidney beans, fresh veggies, and the delicious leftovers from a spiral cut ham dinner. A big bowl of comfort everyone will love.
Ham Bone Soup Recipe
Ham Bone Soup is also extremely versatile. The ingredients can be swapped with what you have in your pantry or fridge. White kidney beans are a favorite with this ham soup. Red Kidney or Cannellini beans can be used as well. If you are not ready to make the soup, the ham bone can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the beans in a stockpot, covered with water.
- Cook beans for about 1 hour.
3. Place the meaty ham bone in a large stock pot in water. Let simmer for 2hours.
4. Drain the stock and ham through a sieve to collect the bone and the pieces of ham.
5. Add oil or butter to a stockpot, mix in the veggies.
6. Saute for about 2 minutes, the veggies will soften.
7. Add in the cooked beans and herbs.
8. Mix in the diced ham.
9. To the pot, add the ham bone stock. Bring the soup to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes. Veggies will be tender. Ready to serve
The bone can be stored in the fridge, well wrapped for up to 3 days.
The ham bone can also be frozen for up to 3 months. We don’t even defrost it when making this soup, just place it in the water and add about 15-20 minutes to the cooking time.
Ham bone soup can be kept in the fridge or frozen. The same time frame goes for the soup as the bone, 3 months in the freezer. To defrost, take out of the freezer and defrost in the fridge overnight. The soup can also be microwaved. Follow the manufacturers instructions to reheat the soup.
The base soup with the ham bone is going to be delicious with any type of veggie. I have given here a wonderful base soup and I hope you make it often. However, if you have other ingredients feel free to use them to make a great soup with unique flavors.
A few ingredients to add would be diced potatoes, corn, string beans, green veggies such as spinach or arugula.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below.
Ham Bone Soup Recipe
- 2 cups white kidney beans, uncooked
- 12 cups water
- 1 ham bone
- 2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 small onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot over high heat, add the beans and cover with 4 cups of water. Over medium high heat, bring the bean mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour until beans are well cooked. Drain and set aside.
- In another large stock pot, over high heat, add the remaining 8 cups of water. Add the ham bone. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce to medium-low to simmer for 2 hours.
- Place a fine mesh sieve or colander over a stockpot or large bowl and drain the ham bone stock into the stockpot, using the sieve to catch the bone and any pieces of ham.
- Place clean stockpot over medium heat and add the butter or oil.
- Add the chopped vegetables and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the cubed ham, thyme, bay leaves, beans, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add the reserved ham bone stock and increase heat to medium-high. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce and simmer on medium to medium-low for 20 minutes, or until vegetables have reached your desired level of tenderness.