Vegan Burritos, made with fiber-packed and nutty black rice blended with earthy lentils, creamy chickpeas, crunchy corn, and saltiness from green olives. Everything is perfectly seasoned with a zippy spice blend that you can adjust your liking. These meatless wraps are topped with your favorite vegan cheese for a hearty lunch or dinner.
My easy make-ahead breakfast burritos have been a huge hit so I thought let me share another family favorite. Welcome to another easy lunch or light dinner, Vegan Burritos made with black rice and a plethora of other wonderful ingredients to give you a hearty wrap that is sure to please everyone’s appetite. A perfect sandwich to make ahead and use throughout the week for lunch.
- black rice, cooked
- green olives
- onion, chopped
- fresh garlic
- cumin powder
- cayenne pepper
Not shown in the photo above:
- wraps/large tortillas:
- vegan cheese
- agave syrup
- olive oil
Step by step instructions
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add oil and cook garlic and onion until tender. Add spices and let cook 10 seconds to bring out the flavors.
- Add tomatoes and agave syrup. Stir and cook until tender about 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix together well and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Warm your wraps and fill with cheese and black rice mix. Can be served immediately or eaten cold.
Tips and FAQs
- Cook the black rice according to their instructions.
- Feel free to use leftover white or brown rice.
- The recipe uses corn. Feel free to use leftover grilled corn or roasted corn works too.
- Make the wraps the same day of eating otherwise the wraps may get soggy. However, the filling lasts a few days in the fridge in a covered container.
- If gluten-free, be sure to check the tortilla to use a gluten-free wrap.
- Rice: Substitute any of your favorite rice including brown or white for the black rice.
- Lentils/Chickpeas: Feel free to use any of your favorite beans/legumes in these vegan burritos.
- Tomatoes/Corn: Zucchini, carrots, peppers, or celery are all great ideas.
- Onions: Shallots or green onions are delish as well.
- Any fresh herbs would be a great addition to the wraps.
SHOP THIS RECIPE:
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com.
- non-stick skillet: These All-Clad pans are in my collection and we love them.
- silicon utensils: A great set to use with non-stick pans to prevent scratches.
Check out my store, Everyday Eileen I share all my favorite finds.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below.
Vegan Burritos with Black Rice and Lentils
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup tomatoes, chopped Note 2
- ½ Tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 cup black rice, cooked Note 1
- ¼ cup lentils, washed and drained Note 3
- ¼ cup chickpeas, washed and drained Note 3
- ¼ cup corn Note 4
- 12 green olives Note 5
- 4 tortilla wraps Note 6
- 4 slices vegan cheese
- Heat a skillet, over medium, add olive oil to warm pan.
- Add in onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until onions soften. Add in garlic and stir for another few seconds.
- Stir in cumin, cayenne, black pepper, and salt. Saute for about 10 seconds to blend and bring out the flavors of the spices.
- Add the diced tomatoes and agave syrup. Saute until tender, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the cooked rice, lentils, chickpeas, corn, and green olives. Cook and stir occasionally for another 3 minutes to heat through and blend flavors.
- Taste the filling, reseason if needed.
- Place the vegan cheese on each wrap.
- Distribute the filling equally to the center of each tortilla. Fold up tortillas and serve.