Enjoy our tasty Vegan Burrito recipe, made with fiber-packed and nutty black rice blended with earthy lentils, creamy chickpeas, crunchy corn, and saltiness from green olives.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- The rice is perfectly seasoned with a zesty spice blend that you can adjust your liking.
- My easy make-ahead breakfast burritos have been a huge hit so I thought let me share another family favorite.
- A perfect recipe for meal prep. Make ahead and use throughout the week for lunch.
- black rice
- green olives
- fresh garlic
- cumin powder
- cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper, to taste
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- cutting board
- cast iron pan
- wooden spoon
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add oil and cook garlic and onion until tender. Add spices and let cook 10 seconds to bring out the flavors
- Add tomatoes and agave syrup. Stir and cook until tender about 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix together well and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Warm your wraps and fill with cheese and black rice mix. Can be served immediately or eaten cold.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight covered container for up to 5 days.
Freezing instructions: Vegan burritos can be frozen for up to 3 months. Use either a food safer or wrap the burrito in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and place in freezer-safe bags.
They can be cooked frozen wrapped in aluminum foil in a 350°F oven until warmed.
Expert Tip: Prepare the filling ahead of time and make the burritos as needed. The filling lasts for up to 5 days when properly stored in the refrigerator. a few days in the fridge.
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- The recipe uses corn. Besides canned or frozen corn. Leftover grilled corn on the cob works so well in this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Burritos consist of rice and for this recipe, we use black rice, chickpeas, and add in red peppers, and olives for a little saltiness. You can get creative and add your favorite rice or quinoa and veggies.
These are delicious vegan burritos with many possibilities. Once you are comfortable with the recipe, branch out and try some other flavors.
- White or brown rice can be used to make these burritos.
- Lentils are delicious but black beans, pinto beans, or vegan refried beans would also make delicious burrito filling.
- Depending on the season, any fresh herbs would be a great addition.
- Check the ingredients on the tortillas to ensure they are vegan.
- Vegetarians can add cheese such as feta or smoked gouda.
- Vegan taco crumbles can be added for extra flavor.
- Red onion, green onion, or shallots can all be added.
Instant Pot Hummus would be a great topping for these vegan burritos.
If you are in the mood for a soup with your burrito, butternut squash soup is a keeper.
Hot Sauce, Lime wedges, vegan sour cream all make great toppings.
Air Fryer Tofu is a great vegan recipe served over rice.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for the continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Vegan Burritos with Black Rice and Lentils
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup tomatoes, chopped Note 2
- ½ Tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 cup black rice, cooked Note 1
- ¼ cup lentils, washed and drained Note 3
- ¼ cup chickpeas, washed and drained Note 3
- ¼ cup corn Note 4
- 12 green olives Note 5
- 4 tortilla wraps Note 6
- 4 slices vegan cheese
- Heat a large skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Once the oil is warm, add onion to the pan, saute for 2-3 minutes until onions soften. Add in garlic and stir for another few seconds.
- Stir in cumin, cayenne, black pepper, and salt. Saute for about 10 seconds to blend and bring out the flavors of the spices.
- Add the diced tomatoes and agave syrup. Saute until tender, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the cooked rice, lentils, chickpeas, corn, and green olives. Cook and stir occasionally for another 3 minutes to heat through and blend flavors. Add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Taste the filling, reseason if needed.
- Place the vegan cheese on each wrap.
- Distribute the filling equally to the center of each tortilla. Fold up tortillas and serve.