My delicious Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe will change your life! Okay, maybe not change your life, but you are in for a treat. Whether you are a diehard vegetarian or looking for a delicious meatless burger, this portobello burger is going to make you one happy person.
The portobellos sit in a delicious marinade that adds the perfect amount of flavor to the mushroom burger. Then, they are grill to perfection!
Beef lovers like my family always enjoy this tasty "bello burger"!
Mushrooms are absolutely delicious. My sautéed mushrooms are a hit and so good as a steak topping.
I was given a slew of portabella mushrooms and my daughter Deirdre loves them. So I have been playing around with a portobello “burger “or sandwich.
Call it whatever you want, but make it, that is a definite must!
Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe
Playing around with different ideas, this marinade was a favorite of the family. The mushrooms don’t need too long in the marinade. Yet, they soak in the marinade and it is mouth wateringly delicious!
It actually is a meaty sandwich. My carnivore son turned his nose up to the idea of this sandwich. He now asks for it all the time!
Portobello Mushroom Burger ingredients
- Portobello Mushrooms
- Red wine vinegar
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Liquid smoke
- Italian Seasoning
Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe
How long do I marinate the mushrooms?
About 30 minutes. I have left them in the fridge all day. The end results were delicious.
What are suggested toppings for the portabella burger?
Avocado, tomato, lettuce, onions, basil aioli, ranch dressing, blue cheese sauce. Cheese, as I need cheese on almost everything. Sky's the limit! Pico. Guac
How long does it take to grill the mushroom?
About 6-10 minutes.
What can I pair with this portobello burger?
Clam chowder- soup and a portobello burger, hello delicious combo!
Tuscan Bean Salad - vegan salad that is a no-cook wonder.
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks - Keep it vegetarian with these cauliflower steaks as a side dish.
Roasted Broccoli with garlic- another easy and delicious side.
Some of my favorite portobello burger toppings:
Guacamole: Always great on a portobello burger.
Skinny Basil Pesto: Fabulous on mushroom burgers.
Tzatziki Sauce: Add a Greek twist by topping your portobello burger with tzatziki sauce.
Sweet Balsamic Onion Relish from Courtney at Know Your Produce is ah-mazing on a portobello burger.
Homemade Keto Mayo from Maya at Wholesome Yum is great on "everything". Add some to your burger.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com
Shop this recipe:
Lodge Grill Pan: One of my favorite grill pans and it cleans very easily.
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls: Love these bowls. They have no-slip bottoms and the perfect amount of bowls.
Checkout my store. I am always updating great finds for not just cooking, I hope you check it out here, Everyday Eileen I update it regularly!
How to make a Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil, minced garlic, onion powder, Italian seasoning, worcheshire sauce, pepper and salt to make a marinade for the mushroom.
- Remove the black interior of the portobello mushroom and discard. The stem can be used to make veggie stock.
- Place the marinade in a plastic storage bag and put the mushrooms in the bag.
- Marinade mushrooms at least 30 minutes.
- Clean grill grates.
- Preheat grill to 425 degrees or warm grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to 350 or medium.
- Place portobellos on the grill and let sear for about 5 minutes. Flip and grill another 3-5 until done.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
When you make any of my recipes, take a pic and tag me on
Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions below!
PLEASE CONTINUE TO CONNECT WITH ME
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, TWITTER
Are you loving this recipe, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe
- As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 2 portobello caps
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 drops Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Kosher salt
- non-stick cooking spray
Portobello Mushroom Burger
- 2 slices cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese optional
- 1 teaspoon skinny basil pesto store made pesto can be used.
- lettuce optional
- tomato optional
- sliced onion optional
- 2 onion rolls
- Remove the black gills from the mushroom caps. Discard the gills. Set mushroom caps in a plastic storage bag. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar, low-sodium soy sauce, olive oil, liquid smoke, Worcestershire Sauce, Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, salt.
- Pour the balsamic marinade into the plastic storage bag with the mushroom caps.
- Seal the bag and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes to 3 hours to marinate the mushroom caps.
- Preheat grill pan or grill to medium/high heat to 450°F. Spray grill pan or grates with non-stick cooking spray
- Remove portobello mushrooms from marinade. Pat dry.
- Be sure heat is medium, add the marinated mushrooms to the preheated grill pan or grill. Let cook about 5-6 minutes per side, until the mushrooms are tender and cooked through. If adding cheese, place a slice of cheese on each portobello cap with 2 minutes left to grill.
- Toast onion rolls during last 2 minutes of grilling the mushroom burgers for toasted buns.
- If serving portobello mushrooms on buns, place grilled portobellos on the bottom bun
- Top with your favorite sides: lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, basil pesto, or any of your personal favorites.
- Nutritional calculations are only including the portobello mushroom and not the additional toppings.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Leave a Reply