Easy Italian Sausage and Peppers are tender and juicy and paired with the sweet peppers and onions they make for one fabulous recipe.
They simmer in a hearty white wine tomato sauce for an incredibly amazing experience for your taste buds. The aromatic flavors are out of this world. It's no surprise this is one of my most requested recipes for family parties. As the sauce simmer, close your eyes and breath in the aroma, you'll think you're in Italy.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- This Italian sausage recipe is a one-pan meal that will be a hit with everyone.
- A great recipe to make ahead for meal planning as it freezes really well.
- Having a party? This recipe is both affordable and easy to make for a crowd.
- The whole family will love this easy dinner recipe. The Italian sausages can be either hot or sweet to please everyone.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- pork sausages
- yellow onion
- green bell pepper
- yellow bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- diced tomatoes, can
- fresh garlic
- white wine
- tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Add the sausages to the pan and brown on all sides.
- Remove sausage when browned. Cut sausages into 1-inch pieces.
- To the saute pan, add the sliced onions, peppers, and seasonings.
- Saute for a few minutes to soften the vegetables. Add in garlic. Saute another minute to blend flavors.
- Pour in white wine and use a wooden spoon to bring up any brown bits at bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Cover with a lid.
- Add back to the saute pan the sliced browned sausages.
- Reduce heat to low, let simmer for 15-20 minutes to thicken the sauce, and finish cooking the Italian Sausage.
- Taste the sauce, and if needed, adjust the seasoning. Ready to serve.
- This is a great meat sauce to serve over pasta with fresh basil Parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes.
Leftovers should be kept in an airtght-covered container in the refrigerator for 3 days. Reheat either in the microwave or on the stovetop.
If using the stovetop, heat in a skillet over medium-high heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
Freeze the sausages for up to 3 months. They can be defrosted overnight in the refrigerator and heated in a 350°F/176.66°C oven for about 20 minutes.
Expert Tip: For the best results, brown the sausages first, cool slightly, then slice them into 1 inch rounds to continue the recipe.
- Slice the meat the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Same for the peppers and onions, cut them the same size.
- Cook on medium heat and stir occasionally.
- White wine is my favorite to use to deglaze the pan. Feel free to use chicken stock if you don't cook with wine.
- As for cutting the sausages, we find it easiest to brown them first and then slice them.
Frequently Asked Questions
This Italian sausage recipe always makes an appearance at every party I host. It's so easy to put together and is the perfect make-ahead recipe. Make the sausages 1-2 days ahead and keep them in the refrigerator in a covered airtight container.
Absolutely! Make a large batch and freeze in either freezer bags or aluminum tins. They can be kept in the freezer for 3 months Defrost and reheat at 350°F for about 15-20 minutes.
Saute the sausages in a saute pan over medium heat until brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
Add white wine to the pan and use a wooden spoon to get up any brown bits.
To a slow cooker, add the sausages, wine, and remaining ingredients. Stir and cook on low for 5 hours.
Some great sides would be a big bowl of your favorite pasta.
A tomato and cucumber salad or an arugula salad would both be great choices.
Caprese salad, which is a tomato and fresh mozzarella salad would be a great pairing.
Roasted broccoli and garlic is an easy side dish and would be great with this and so many recipes.
Roasted asparagus with lemon is another winner recipe and easy side dish that would be a hit.
You must check the package of sausage to ensure they are gluten-free.
- White wine is my favorite to use to deglaze the pan. Feel free to use chicken stock or chicken broth if you don't cook with wine.
- Red wine or marsala wine would both be lovely choices in this recipe to add flavor.
- Use your favorite sausage, either hot or sweet sausage.
- Also, turkey or chicken sausage can be used in this recipe.
- For a quick dinner, serve the sausage and peppers in a hoagie roll.
- Serve over a bed of your favorite pasta such as spaghetti or penne.
- Cauliflower rice would be a great choice if you are following a low-carb diet.
- Weight Watchers Caesar Salad is an easy salad that we enjoy often with many meals.
- Homemade macaroni salad is always a favorite with everyone.
- Pea Salad with Bacon would be great paired with these juicy sausages.
- A nice loaf of garlic bread would be perfect with these Italian sausages. Dip a slice in the juicy goodness.
- Don't forget to garnish the sausage and peppers with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes for extra goodness.
Looking for authentic recipes using sausages, try our extremely popular Bangers and Mash recipe. A family favorite.
Another favorite is our Sausage and Veggie Skillet, a one-pot wonder that you should try, delicious!
Zuppa Toscana is a great soup loaded with sausage and veggies!
Italian Meatballs is another one of those recipes that my Mom learned from a neighbor and we've been making them like this forever. They are so yummy and we enjoy them just about every week.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for the continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This recipe first published November 18, 2018, updated June 3, 2022 with new photos and for user experience.
Italian Sausage and Peppers
- 1 - 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces Italian Sausage Links 5 sausages
- 2 medium red peppers, seeded and sliced Note 2
- 2 medium yellow peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup white wine Note 3
- 14.8 ounce can, diced tomatoes drain excess liquid
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
How to Make Skillet Sausage and Peppers
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Add in the sausages to brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Remove sausages and cut into 1-inch slice. Set aside.
- If needed, add the 2nd Tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add in peppers and onions. Saute about 5 minutes to soften the peppers and onions.
- Add in garlic and saute another minute.
- Pour the white wine into the pan. Use a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits at bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, black pepper, and salt.
- Let simmer for about 20 minutes. Sausages should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Check the seasoning. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve your favorite way. An Italian Bread hero, pasta, zoodles enjoy!
How to Make Slow Cooker Sausage and Pepper
- Saute the sausages in a saute pan over medium heat until brown on all sides.
- Add in garlic and saute another minute.
- Remove sausages, evenly slice into 1-inch pieces and place them in the slow cooker.
- Add white wine to the pan and use a wooden spoon to get up any brown bits.
- Pour the white wine mixture into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, black pepper, and salt.
- Place the sausages, onions, peppers into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Serve and enjoy.