Chicken Sausage Vegetable Skillet is becoming a go-to one pan meal for my family. In 25 minutes, a delicious and nutritious dinner is served. I use chicken apple sausage which is loaded with flavor. They are complimented by peppers, zucchini, and Brussels sprouts which gives a bang of veggies that add freshness to this meal.
Chicken Sausage Vegetable Skillet
Chicken sausage comes in so many wonderful flavors but for this recipe, I like to use the sausage flavored with apple. Especially after the Holidays, I like to up my veggies and this is the perfect meal.
The veggies compliment each other very well. However, if you want to change things up, feel free to swap out your favorite veggies. If you don't like one of the veggies, leave them out.
We use Aidells brand but any of your favorite sausages can be used in this recipe.
If swapping veggies, just be sure to add vegetables that cook similar to each other. Broccoli, mushrooms, and string beans will work well.
For the peppers, any of your favorite color peppers.
As for the onions, same goes, yellow onions or shallots are great.
Step by Step Instructions
- Warm your skillet over medium heat. Once your skillet is warm, lightly spray or oil the skillet. Add in your bell peppers and onions. Cook until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stirring often.
- Mix in Brussels sprouts and zucchini. Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Stir often. Add more cooking spray or oil, if needed.
- Add in the sausage. Cook for an additional three minutes. Stir often. Add more cooking spray or oil, if needed. Stir in your minced garlic, salt, and black pepper into the skillet mixture for about 1 minute to release the flavors of the garlic, but not burn it. Remove from heat, transferred to a bowl, enjoy.
Keep leftovers in the fridge, covered for up to 3 days. I always refer to the USDA for leftover information. I have never frozen this recipe as we rarely have any left.
Some other sausage recipes you may enjoy are Italian Sausage and Peppers, Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup, and Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage, Spaghetti Squash and Peppers.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Chicken Sausage Vegetable Skillet
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut into ¼ inch half moons
- 5 ounces Brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 4 links chicken apple sausage, sliced thin Note 1
- 1½ Tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil cooking spray or your favorite cooking spray Note 2
- Spray your skillet with cooking spray. Warm the skillet over medium heat. Or once warm, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Add in bell peppers and onions. Cook until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stirring often.
- Mix in the Brussels sprouts and zucchini. Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Stir often. Add more cooking spray or oil, if needed.
- Stir in the sausage. Cook for an additional three minutes. Stir often. Add cooking spray or olive oil, if needed.
- Lastly, stir in minced garlic, salt, and black pepper into the mixture for about 1 minute to release the flavors of the garlic, but not burn it.
- Remove from heat. Taste for seasoning, adjust if needed. Transferred to a bowl and enjoy.