One skillet sausage and cabbage is full of robust flavors. It's an easy recipe that is sure to be a hit. Pure comfort food for the whole family. A hearty combo to fill you up with just a few budget-friendly ingredients in less than 30 minutes.
We are celebrating this delicious skillet meal with amazing flavors from smoked sausage and cabbage. Both of which have decent pantry shelf lives so I've been ordering them through grocery delivery.
Sausage and Cabbage Recipe
A one-skillet dish is always at the top of my favorites meals. Easy family dinners are the best. I love how easy this recipe is to prepare and it's ready in 30 minutes.
The smokiness of the sausages blends with the cabbage and you have a low-carb dinner. Adding a little beer or chicken stock into the skillet intensifies the flavors.
Smoked sausage: The recipe used smoked chicken sausage. Feel free to swap out and use turkey or pork sausage, kielbasa, or chorizo.
Green Cabbage: We have used Savoy in the recipe with tasty results.
Carrots: Adds another level of flavor to the dish.
Garlic/onion: Whenever possible I add these two to any dish for flavor.
Apple Cider Vinegar: Adds a little flavor and moisture to the dish.
Ground Thyme: Adds a bit of seasoning.
Sausage and Cabbage Recipe Variations:
- Add ½ cup of your favorite beer or chicken stock to the cabbage while it cooks.
- Mix in ½ to 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning to the cabbage as it cooks.
- In lieu of shallots, use a diced yellow onion.
Slicing the cabbage
Use a knife, food processor, or mandolin, (check here for my favorites) to get your cabbage sliced thin. Looking for a short-cut, you can purchase shredded cabbage in the produce section of your grocery store.
Step by step, how to make sausage and cabbage
- Saute the smoked sausage for a few minutes per side to brown. Remove and set aside.
- Stir in the shallots and garlic in olive oil.
- Add in the sliced cabbage, apple cider vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper to the skillet and stir occasionally to soften. If adding, add beer or chicken stock (see variations) now.
- Stir in shredded carrots and saute for a minute or two to blend flavors.
- Add back in the cooked sausage to the mixture, stir occasionally, another 10-12 minutes until cabbage is soft. Serve.
Mise en Place: Be sure to slice your sausage and veggies ahead. Measure out your ingredients to be ready to make your recipe.
Cutting the ingredients: Be sure to slice your sausage the same size. In addition, cut each veggies in accordance so they cook evenly, cabbage should be cut the same. The shallots should all be diced to the same size so they cook evenly.
Storage: Leftovers keep well covered for about 3 days. Always refer to the experts at USDA for specific info on storing leftovers.
Can I freeze this recipe: This is a fabulous recipe but freezing cabbage is not recommended. The texture will change.
- Anolon Saute Pan: This is my favorite saute pan. Non-stick, easy clean-up.
- Serving Spoons: Love these spoons. We use them often.
Don’t forget to shop at the Everyday Eileen store on Amazon
One skillet meals are awesome. Give any of these a try: Braised Chicken and Veggies, Chicken Scarpariello with Cauliflower, or Creamy Ham and Peas Pasta. You will love Shelby's, who writes Honey Bunch Hunts, Big Mac Casserole, low-carb deliciousness.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below!
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
I love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below
Sausage and Cabbage Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound smoked sausage or kielbasa, sliced thin Note 1
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups cabbage, sliced thin, 1 head, about 2 pounds Note 2
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh thyme, optional garnish
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Place the sliced sausage in the pan, saute about 5 minutes to lightly brown the sausage. Remove sausage, set aside.
- Add the remaining Tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Stir in the shallots and saute for 3 minutes to soften the shallots. Stir in the garlic and dried thyme, stir about 1 minute to blend flavors.
- Blend in the cabbage and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally about 10-13 minutes, to soften the cabbage.
- Stir in the shredded carrots and cooked sausage, saute another minute to blend flavors.
- Taste for seasoning, reseason if needed. Optional, serve with a sprinkling of fresh chopped thyme.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.