This Homemade Poultry Seasoning recipe is a delicious way to add some extra flavor to your poultry recipes. It's a great way to make your own DIY poultry seasoning mix instead of relying on store-bought versions.
Looking for specifics on the recipe? Use the table of contents to click on sections of the recipe.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- You only need common ingredients that you may already have on hand in your spice cabinet.
- The best part is that by making your own homemade poultry seasoning you can customize the seasonings to suit your tastebuds.
- This aromatic blend adds so much flavor to any poultry recipe.
🧾 Ingredient List
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- ground sage
- dried thyme
- dried marjoram leaves
- dried rosemary leaves
- ground nutmeg
- small mixing bowl
- whisk or spoon
- glass jar or spice jar
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: Measure out all of your spices needed.
Step 2: Add the spices to a small mixing bowl.
Step 3: Mix the spices well with a whisk or spoon.
Step 4: Store in an airtight container until you are ready to use.
👩🏻🍳 Eileen's Tips for Success
- Use fresh spices, as the spices sit in your cabinets they can tend to lose their flavor so make sure they are fresh for the best flavor.
- If you want a fine powder, you can use a spice grinder to blend the seasoning. This would be great if you are using it as a rub on a whole turkey or chicken.
- You can also use this homemade poultry seasoning blend on game birds as well.
📋 Frequently Asked Questions
Poultry seasoning is made from a combination of herbs and spices, including sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, and nutmeg. It's an aromatic blend that adds flavor to poultry dishes.
If you don't have any poultry seasoning on hand the best substitute would be to make your own blend. A simple blend of dried herbs such as sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, and nutmeg can be a great substitute for poultry seasoning.
When using poultry seasoning in your recipes, you only need a small amount to give it the flavor you are looking for. Start with about ¼ teaspoon per pound of meat and adjust depending on how much flavor you want.
Do you want to change up this recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- To increase the flavor you can add some extra herbs to this recipe. Try adding garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, celery seeds, or any other spice that your family enjoys.
- You can add salt and black pepper to poultry blends for even more flavor.
- For a hint of heat, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to your own homemade poultry seasoning.
❄️ Make ahead, storage, and freezer tips
For best results, store the seasoning blend out of direct sunlight and in a cool dry place for up to six months. I prefer to use a glass dish instead of plastic as that can extend the shelf life.
🥣 Serving Suggestions
Looking for a delicious recipe to use with this DIY poultry seasoning recipe? Rub it on top of this Instant Pot Whole Chicken. It makes the perfect Sunday dinner for your whole family.
Slow Cooker Turkey Breast is another great protein to use this poultry seasoning blend on. It's a great way to make a Thanksgiving Turkey for a small family.
Are you looking for a budget-friendly meal that will satisfy your entire family without breaking the bank? These Baked Chicken Leg Quarters are a great way protein to make for your next family dinner.
🍽 Similar recipes
Do you want to make more homemade spice blends? If so, add this Homemade Cajun Blend to your spice rack. It's a great seasoning to use when you want to add some extra flavor to your favorite soups and pasta.
Is your family a fan of pasta recipes? Save a trip to the local grocery store and make this Homemade Italian Seasoning Blend at home. It tastes so much better than store-bought.
This Homemade Steak Seasoning recipe is a great way to add extra flavor to your grill nights. Or, skip the grill and use it on air fryer steak instead.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Homemade Poultry Seasoning Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons dried sage
- 2 Tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 Tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg Note 3
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, and nutmeg.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight covered container in the pantry for up to one month.