This Slow Cooker Beef and Peppers recipe is an easy and delicious way to enjoy a comforting dinner that the whole family will love. All you need is a few simple ingredients that you can dump into the crock pot then you will have a family-friendly meal without a lot of work.
Looking for specifics on the recipe? Use the table of contents to click on sections of the recipe.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- The crock pot does all the work so you don't have to worry about spending a lot of the kitchen.
- Plus, the slow-cooking process really brings out all of the flavors and makes it an incredibly tender dish.
- This slow cooker beef and peppers dish is a great way to get picky eaters to enjoy eating their veggies.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- olive oil
- large onion
- beef roast
- cloves garlic
- red wine vinegar
- ground cumin
- black pepper
- beef broth
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- yellow bell pepper
- slow cooker
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: Add the oil to the bottom of the slow cooker and then top with sliced onions in an even layer.
Step 2: Season the roast on all sides with garlic, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Then add it to the slow cooker.
Pour the red wine vinegar and beef broth into the slow cooker over the roast
Step 3: Cover with the lid and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 2 to 4 hours or until the roast is fork tender.
Step 4: Add the bell peppers, and season with salt and pepper continue cooking for 30 minutes to one hour.
Step 5: Shred the beef with two forks.
💭 Eileen's Tips for Success
- Use fresh bell peppers for the best flavor and texture.
- Add additional seasonings of your choice to customize the dish to your tastes.
- I prefer to cook this crockpot beef and peppers on low because it gives the roast the best flavor.
- For easy clean up you can spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray before you begin cooking your slow cooker pulled beef.
📋 Frequently Asked Questions
The best meat to slow cook in a slow cooker would be beef chuck roast or shoulder roast. These cuts have the most flavor and are the most tender after long periods of cooking.
Yes, you can put raw beef into a slow cooker. It will every you tender beef every time.
For this recipe, there is no need to sear the meat, though can you sear it if you prefer.
Do you want to change up this recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- Add a few tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce for extra flavor.
- For heat, add some chipotle peppers or cayenne pepper.
- For a creamy dish, stir in a cup of sour cream at the end.
- If you want to add more vegetables to this dish you can also add celery and carrots.
- Fajita seasonings or Italian seasonings are great choices for variations to the flavors of the beef and peppers.
⭐ Make ahead, storage, and freezer tips
Storage - Store leftover crockpot beef and peppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing - Freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
Make ahead - You can make this dish the night before and refrigerate it overnight in the crock. Then just add it to the slow cooker the next morning.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
Serve this slow cooker shredded beef on a bed of these Instant Pot Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes for a simple meal that your entire family will rave about.
My family loves it when I pair a bread side dish with these slow cooker beef and peppers. So, I always whip up a batch of these Easy Yeast Rolls.
If you are looking for something green and healthy to pair with this comfort food meal look no further than these Oven Roasted Green Beans. They are so easy to make.
🍽 Similar recipes
Do you love to make crock pot recipes on busy weeknights? If so next time give this Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef a try. It's perfect for tacos, quesadillas, and so much more.
These Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches are always a family favorite. They're loaded with flavor and perfect for busy weeknights.
If you're looking for an easy one-pot meal, then try this Slow Cooker Cranberry Pot Roast recipe. It's hearty and pure comfort food. Your whole family will love it.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Slow Cooker Beef and Peppers
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced thin
- 1 (4) pound beef roast
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 4 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 large red bell pepper seeded and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 large green bell pepper seeded and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 large yellow bell pepper seeded and sliced ¼-inch thick
- Pour olive oil into the bottom of the slow cooker vessel. Over the oil, place the sliced onion in an even layer.
- Generously season the beef roast on all sides with garlic, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Place it into the slow cooker.
- Pour red wine vinegar and beef broth into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 ½ to 7 hours or high for 2½ to 3½ hours until the roast is just about fork-tender.
- Continue to cook the beef and add the bell peppers over the beef roast and season the bell peppers with salt and black pepper, continue cooking for another ½ hour to an hour, until the bell peppers are to the desired tenderness and the beef will be fork tender.
- When the beef is finished cooking, use two forks or meat claws to pull and shred the beef.
- Serve with the peppers over rice or mashed potatoes. You can also serve the beef for tacos, nachos, sandwiches, or use in enchiladas