Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are so easy to prepare and wow are they good! Don’t you want an easy side dish that tastes creamy and flavorful? A comforting bowl of yumminess! You came to the right place! Today, you are getting my favorite easy recipe for quick mashed potatoes!
Mashed Potatoes that have been made in the Instant Pot!
If you are a regular at EE you know I grew up on potatoes, lots of them! My Granny used a pressure cooker, I talk all about it in one of my pork tenderloin recipes! Granny made great potatoes and turnips in her pressure cooker! So with it being Saint Patrick’s Day weekend, these mashed potatoes are in honor of my Granny!
Who, by the way served the HOTTEST potatoes ever! Since no one in my family ever reads my blog, they can’t vouch for me! The fam just want to eat all my experiments and hot potatoes too! Trust me on this one scalding hot potatoes! My Dad always said the steam coming off the potatoes as she brought the bowl to the table no one could even see her face, haha!
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (Pressure Cooker), gotta love them!
I am feeling a little sentimental this week and really missing my Granny! We always had so much fun in March, celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day!
I know, for my family it is always all month! I did Irish Dance as a child and my girls did too. Now my niece is also Irish Dancing. Always lots of events going on.
As I said my Granny’s pressure cooker was not dangerous but she always scared the crap out of me. She’d say, with her Irish Brogue, if the top blows run away! Who says that,lol! It never blew up but she always had me with one eye on that darn pressure cooker! I knew when I got my cooker I wanted to make mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
- Russet or Yukon potatoes
- bay leaf
- buttermilk –
- unsalted butter
- sour cream – I use low-fat. Regular can be used.
- salt and pepper
- Feel free to add fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary as a garnish
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes FAQs:
What type of potatoes are best for making mashed potatoes?
The best potatoes for mashing are higher in starch like Russet Potatoes or Yukon. I talk about this in my Classic Homemade Mashed Potato Recipe!
Can the be make-ahead potatoes?
The potatoes can be made early in the day and kept warm in the Instant Pot.
The Instant Pot Potato recipe uses low-fat ingredients, can full-fat be used?
Sure, I tend to us low-fat ingredients when possible but full-fat buttermilk and sour cream can be used in these potatoes!
What goes well with Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
- Granny’s Bangers – go ahead and giggle, this recipe rocks!
- Swedish Meatballs – make these delicious meatballs and you have a great meal with these taters!
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Pot Roast: let those appliances do all the work, relax and have a beer or a glass or wine!
- Greek Lemon Chicken Thighs: from the very talented Lemon Blossoms, these thighs are so flavorful.
No buttermilk, can I still make these mashed potatoes?
Absolutely, use regular milk and add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to every cup of milk. For this recipe I use about 1/3 cup of milk so use about 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar to the milk. Let it sit for about 5 minutes before using in the potatoes. You can also use plain milk, a slightly different taste but still delicious!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thank you so very much for being apart of Everyday Eileen!
Shop this recipe:
8-Quart Instant Pot: This is the pot I use. Love it!
Don’t forget to shop the Everyday Eileen store on Amazon!
Pro Tips to making amazing Instant Pot mashed potatoes:
- As mentioned above, use starchy potatoes.
- Cover the potatoes in the Instant Pot with enough water to cover all potatoes.
- After much experimenting 5 minutes on high pressure works well.
- Let the potatoes do a natural release for about 5-7 minutes. Then turn valve to quick release.
- Use a hand potato masher for the best fluffy potatoes.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below!
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Into the vessel of the Instant Pot add the potatoes, onion, bay leaf, and water. Season with salt and pepper. Close lid and close valve. Set pressure to high and set timer for 5 minutes. Timer will go off when cooking is complete.
- Let cooker natural release for 5 minutes. Then turn valve for auto release. Once complete, hit cancel, remove lid. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Drain water from the potatoes. Keep potatoes in the Instant Pot vessel.
- Add to the vessel buttermilk, sour cream, and butter. Use hand masher to mash potatoes. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- I am not a registered dietician, I do my best to provide the most accurate nutritional values. Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes