Baked pork chops with apples and sauerkraut is a delicious meal that is a family favorite! Easy to prepare and a one pot wonder that is always a crowd pleaser and a major comfort food! The pork chops and sauerkraut are one of the most comforting meals I make for family and friends.
The pork is so tender, it melts in your mouth! This is a family favorite in the comfort food category!
My favorite childhood dish is simply this recipe for Baked Pork Chops with Apples and Sauerkraut! My Mom would switch it up for my birthday dinner and prepare a loin of pork with sauerkraut! I’m a cheap date, pork chops, apples, and sauerkraut equal one happy girl!
You lovely young ones may not remember the Brady Bunch, but this meal always reminds me of the show’s episode of “pork chops and sauerkraut”. Ah, the memories, truly just a wonderful meal to warm me up on a fall or winter day! Really reminds me of my carefree days as a child! This is my remember when meal!!
Okay enough of me already, back to this yummy pork chop casserole!
Low calorie, low-carb gluten-free and one pan! Pork chops and sauerkraut can be made ahead and re-heated! Perfect for a crowd-pleasing meal too!
Did you know Pork and Sauerkraut are considered a meal to eat on New Year’s Day for many with Eastern European heritage?
Pork and Sauerkraut are considered a meal to eat on New Year’s Day that will bring health and prosperity for the year ahead. Cabbage is a fall harvested veggie, usually in October. Homemade sauerkraut takes about 6 weeks to brine. Thus, homemade sauerkraut would be ready end of December. It coincides with the time of year that the pigs were prepared to be food for the families. Therefore, New Year’s Day became a popular day to enjoy pork and sauerkraut together and it signified good luck for the year.
Can Pork Chops and Sauerkraut be frozen?
I have made this meal and placed in a freezer-safe bag. The pork and sauerkraut reheat very well. I reheat in the oven at 300 degrees for about 1/2 hour.
What other cuts of pork to make this pork chop sauerkraut casserole?
Make this recipe using any cut of pork. You will need to adjust cooking times, depending on the cut of pork. I love this with a boneless pork loin.
When making baked pork chops, what should the internal temperature be when the chops are cooked?
To make the best pork chops that are not dry, the internal temperature should be 145 degrees.
What sides go well with Baked Pork Chops?
– yummy! I just need my fuzzy pj’s and slippers and I am set for the evening!
How to make Slow Cooker Pork Loin and Sauerkraut:
- Season the pork chops or pork with black pepper and garlic powder. Heat a large skillet over medium heat add oil to the pan.
- Brown pork chops or pork loin in a saute pan.
- Place the pork, apples, and sauerkraut in the slow cooker, low 6-7 hours high for 3-4 hours
Tips on Making Baked Pork Chops in the Oven:
- Use either boneless or bone-in chops or pork, loin of pork also works – no effect on flavor. I shop by store sales.
- I always brown the pork before finishing the pork chops in the oven.
- The browning adds amazing flavor and you always have tender pork chops.
- An easy made ahead meal! Simply place the cooked pork chops to bake in the oven to reheat at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes when ready to eat.
- Light brown sugar is my favorite sweetener for this recipe. Can use another sweetener such as Turbinado sugar. Add the sweetener in increments and check sweetness.
When you make this easy pork chop and sauerkraut recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Are you enjoying these baked pork chops, giving the recipe a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
Baked Pork Chops with Apples and Sauerkraut
Baked pork chops in apple juice paired with apples and sauerkraut make for a delicious meal! Perfect over mashed cauliflower or mashed potatoes.
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 4 pork chops, trim fat from chop
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 apple, cored, peeled, and chopped
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 pounds sauerkraut, in a bag and drained
Pork chops and sauerkraut recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Season both sides of pork chops with black pepper and garlic powder.
In an oven-safe skillet, over medium heat, add the avocado oil. Brown the pork chops on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Set aside.
To the skillet, add and combine sliced onion, chopped apple, brown sugar, apple juice and drained sauerkraut.
- Add the brown pork chops and combine so that the pork chops are somewhat covered with the sauerkraut and juices.
Cover the skillet with lid or foil and bake at least 45-60 minutes. Pork chops should be tender and no longer pink. Pork temperature should be 165 degrees. Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate and re-heat when ready to eat.
Slow Cooker Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
Slow-cooker instructions, after browning the pork chops in the skillet, add all ingredients to the slow-cooker. Slow cook low- 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. Serve with your favorite sides.
- Don't have an ovenproof skillet, after browning the pork chops. Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish, cover, and bake.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.
Pin these Pork Chops, Apples and Sauerkraut anytime:
Originally published Nov 1, 2015. Updated pics and added slow cooker instructions