Baked pork chops with apples and sauerkraut is a delicious meal that is a family favorite! Easy to prepare and a one pot wonder that is always a crowd pleaser and a major comfort food! The pork is so tender it melts in your mouth! This is a family favorite in the comfort food category!
Low calorie, low-carb gluten-free and one pan! Can be made ahead and re-heated!
My favorite childhood dish is simply this recipe for Baked Pork Chops with Apples, and Sauerkraut! My Mom would switch it up for my birthday dinner and prepare a loin of pork with sauerkraut! I’m a cheap date, pork chops, apples and sauerkraut equals one happy girl! You lovely young ones may not remember the Brady Bunch, but this meal always reminds me of the shows episode of “pork chops and sauerkraut”. Ah, the memories, truly just a wonderful meal to warm me up on a fall or winter day! Really reminds me of my care free days as a child! This is my remember when, meal!! Okay enough of me already, back to the pork chops!
Tips on making Baked Pork Chops with Apples and Sauerkraut:
- Use either boneless or on the bone chops or pork – no effect on flavor. I shop by store sales.
- Can be made in the slow cooker as well. Brown pork in pan then add to slow cooker, low 6-7 hours high for 3-4 hours.
- Can be made ahead of time and re-heated when ready to eat.
- I use light brown sugar. Can use another sweetener such as Turbinado sugar..add the sweetener in increments and check sweetness.
Pair this with a little applesauce, homemade or store-bought and some mashed cauliflower, mashed potatoes and one of these veggies:
Easy Classic Homemade Mashed Potatoes
– yummy! I just need my fuzzy pj’s and slippers and I am set for the evening!
If you like this recipe, please share the love on Facebook. Pin to your favorite Pinterest board to save to make later here:
Made this recipe, tag #everdayeileen with your recipe pics! I love to see and share your pics!
LEAVE ANY COMMENTS, QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE RECIPE BELOW IN THE COMMENTS!
I’D LOVE IF YOU CAN RATE THE RECIPE AFTER YOUR MAKE IT! THAT’S ALWAYS AWESOME!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Originally published Nov 1, 2015. Updated pics and added slow cooker instructions
Baked Pork Chops with Apples and Sauerkraut
Baked pork chops in apple juice paired with apples and sauerkraut make for a delicious meal! Perfect over mashed cauliflower or mashed potatoes.
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 4 pork chops, trim fat from chop
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 apple, cored, peeled, and chopped
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 pounds sauerkraut, in a bag and drained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Season both sides of pork chops with black pepper and garlic powder.
In an oven safe skillet, over medium heat, add the avocado oil. Brown the pork chops on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Set aside.
To the skillet, add and combine sliced onion, chopped apple, brown sugar, apple juice and drained sauerkraut.
Add the brown pork chops and combine so that the pork chops are somewhat covered with the sauerkraut and juices.
Cover the skillet with lid or foil and bake at least 45-60 minutes. Pork chops should be tender and no longer pink. Pork temperature should be 165 degrees. Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate and re-heat when ready to eat.
- Don't have an oven proof skillet, after browning the pork chops. Combine all ingredients in an oven proof casserole dish, cover and bake.
- Slow-cooker instructions, after browning the pork chops, add all ingredients to slow-cooker and cook low- 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.