Baked pork chops and sauerkraut is a delicious meal that is a family favorite! Baked pork chops are to prepare! This pork chop and sauerkraut recipe is a one pot wonder that is always a crowd pleaser!
Major comfort food for a fall afternoon!! Pork and sauerkraut baked in the oven is one of the most comforting meals I make for family and friends.
The pork chops are so tender! They melt in your mouth! This is a family favorite in the comfort food category!
My favorite childhood dish is simply this recipe for Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut! My Mom would switch it up for my birthday dinner and prepare a pork loin with sauerkraut!
I’m a cheap date, pork chops, sauerkraut, throw in onions and an apple, equals one happy girl!
You lovely young ones may not remember the Brady Bunch, but this meal always reminds me of the show’s episode of “pork chops and sauerkraut”. Ah, the memories, truly just a wonderful meal to warm me up on a fall or winter day! Really reminds me of my carefree days as a child! This is my “remember when” meal!!
Okay enough of me already, back to this yummy baked pork chop recipe!
Low calorie, low-carb gluten-free and one pan! Pork chops and sauerkraut can be made ahead and re-heated! Perfect for a crowd-pleasing meal too!
Did you know Pork and Sauerkraut are considered a meal to eat on New Year’s Day for many with Eastern European heritage?
Pork and Sauerkraut are considered a meal to eat on New Year’s Day that will bring health and prosperity for the year ahead. Cabbage is a fall harvested veggie, usually in October. Homemade sauerkraut takes about 6 weeks to brine. Thus, homemade sauerkraut would be ready end of December. It coincides with the time of year that the pigs were prepared to be food for the families. Therefore, New Year’s Day became a popular day to enjoy pork and sauerkraut together and it signified good luck for the year.
Can Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut be frozen?
I have made this meal and placed in a freezer-safe bag. The pork and sauerkraut reheat very well. I reheat in the oven at 300 degrees for about 1/2 hour.
What other cuts of pork can be used to make this pork chop sauerkraut casserole?
Make this recipe using any cut of pork. You will need to adjust cooking times, depending on the cut of pork. I love this with a boneless pork loin.
When making baked pork chops, what should the internal temperature be when the chops are cooked?
To make the best pork chops that are not dry, the internal temperature should be 145 degrees.
What sides go well with Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut?
– yummy! I just need my fuzzy pj’s and slippers and I am set for the evening!
How to make Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut:
- Season the pork chops or pork with black pepper and garlic powder. Heat a large skillet over medium heat add oil to the pan.
- Brown pork chops or pork loin in a saute pan.
- Place the pork, apples, and sauerkraut in the slow cooker, low 6-7 hours high for 3-4 hours
Tips on Making Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut in the Oven:
- Use either boneless or bone-in chops or pork, loin of pork also works – no effect on flavor. I shop by store sales.
- I always brown the pork before finishing the pork chops in the oven.
- The browning adds amazing flavor and you always have tender pork chops.
- An easy made ahead meal! Simply place the cooked pork chops to bake in the oven to reheat at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes when ready to eat.
- Light brown sugar is my favorite sweetener for this recipe. Can use another sweetener such as Turbinado sugar. Add the sweetener in increments and check sweetness.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more!) Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Thank you so very much for being apart of Everyday Eileen!
Tools you may need to make Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut:
- Cast Iron Skillet with Lid: A cast iron skillet with a lid is very helpful for this meal to keep it a one pot meal.
- Wooden Utensils: Great tools to use as they do not scratch pans.
- Meat Thermometer: To check meat temperature for doneness.
How to Make Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season pork with pepper and garlic powder. I use about 1 1/2 inch thick pork chops.
- Heat a cast iron or oven-safe casserole pan over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Sear pork chops to brown on both sides. Remove set aside until all chops browned.
- Add an onion and apple to the pan and brown slightly 1-2 minutes.
- Add the apple cider and brown sugar. Use a wooden spoon to bring up any brown bits at bottom of the pan.
- Add back the pork chops and sauerkraut. Move around sauerkraut to ensure covered by the juices.
- Place either the lid or aluminum foil on pan or casserole. Bake for about 35-45 minutes. Boneless chops are quicker cooking. The internal temperature of cooked pork should be 145 degrees.
When you make this easy baked pork chop and sauerkraut recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
Any comments or questions, please feel to ask below in the comment section! I love hearing from you all!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Are you enjoying these baked pork chops, giving the recipe a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
Baked pork chops and sauerkraut in apple cider paired with apples and sauerkraut make for a delicious meal! Perfect over mashed cauliflower or mashed potatoes.
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 4 pork chops, trim fat from chop about 1 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 apple, cored, peeled, and chopped
- 1 cup homemade apple cider, or store bought apple cider
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar keto, use coconut palm sugar
- 2 pounds sauerkraut, in a bag and drained Note 1
Pork chops and sauerkraut recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Season both sides of pork chops with black pepper and garlic powder.
In an oven-safe skillet, over medium heat, add the avocado oil. Brown the pork chops on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Set aside.
To the skillet, add and combine sliced onion, chopped apple, brown sugar, apple juice, and drained sauerkraut.
- Add the brown pork chops and combine so that the pork chops , with the sauerkraut and juices.
Cover the skillet with lid or foil and bake at least 45-60 minutes. Pork chops should be tender and no longer pink. Pork temperature should be 165 degrees. Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate and reheat when ready to eat.
Slow Cooker Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
Slow-cooker instructions, after browning the pork chops in the skillet, add all ingredients to the slow-cooker. Slow cook low- 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. Serve with your favorite sides.
- Note 1: I prefer sauerkraut in a bag. Canned sauerkraut has a tinny taste that we do not care for.
- Don't have an ovenproof skillet, after browning the pork chops. Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish, cover, and bake.
- I am not a registered dietician but I try to give the most accurate nutritional information as possible. Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.
Pin the recipe for Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut any time:
Originally published Nov 1, 2015. Updated pics and added slow cooker instructions