Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes takes the most delicious spuds one step further to flavor town. The potato skin is extra crispy with a light and fluffy interior that is seasoned to perfection and topped with crunchy bacon and warm gooey melted cheese.
Looking for specifics on the recipe? Use the table of contents to click on sections of the recipe.
❤️ Why this recipe works
- Stuffed Potatoes are very versatile. Get creative.
- Everyone loves cheese and bacon, right?
- Air Frying the potatoes gives nice and crispy potato skins to enjoy.
- Russet potatoes
- Unsalted Butter
- Homemade Seasoning Salt or your favorite brand of seasoned salt.
- Heavy cream
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: Wash the potatoes and using a fork puncture holes around the outside of the potato. Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket leaving some room between the potatoes. Do not overcrowd the potatoes. Cook at 400°F for 20 minutes three times, rotating potatoes each time
Step 2: Cut the potatoes in half longways and using a spoon, scoop out the inside.
Step 3: Add the cooked potato to a large mixing bowl and mix in half of the cheese, the butter, heavy cream, sour cream, and seasoning.
Step 4: Add the mashed potato mixture back into the hollowed-out potatoes. Top with shredded cheese.
Step 5: Sprinkle the shredded cheese on the stuffed potatoes and bake in the air fryer for another 5 minutes.
Step 6: Top with your favorite toppings such as bacon bits, sour cream, chives, etc.
How to store, reheat, and freeze
The stuffed potatoes can be stored in a covered airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat at 350°F for about 5-6 minutes.
The potatoes can be baked from a frozen state. Preheat air fryer to 350°F, place the frozen potatoes into the air fryer and cook about 40 -50 minutes.
💭 Expert Tips
- Use a fork to prick holes in the potatoes so they do not explode while cooking.
- Mix the ingredients right after the potatoes are baked and warm to ensure a tasty stuffing.
- Use room temperature butter so it easily absorbs into the potatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely. The potatoes and stuffing can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge in a covered airtight container for 1-2 days. Then top with the cheese and complete the air frying.
Absolutely. The potatoes and stuffing can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for 1-2 days. Then top with the cheese and complete the air frying following the directions in the recipe card.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F, place the frozen potatoes in the air fryer. They should be cooked through in about 15 minutes.
It generally takes about 50-60 minutes to cook a large potato. The size of potatoes can vary depending on the size of the potato.
When making this recipe try and choose potatoes of similar size.
Do you want to change up this recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- Brush olive oil on the skin of the potato and sprinkle with Kosher salt for restaurant style potatoes.
- Add cooked broccoli to the potato mash for a complete dinner.
- Chopped scallions or green onions would be a great addition.
- Chopped cooked ham is a great way to use leftovers.
- Sautéed mushrooms are another great veggie to add.
- Roasted asparagus can be another variation.
- Add in cream cheese or veggie cream cheese for another delicious variety.
- Use Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream.
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers would be delicious with these taters.
Serve these Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes with Chicken Drumsticks for a great dinner.
Juicy Lucys would round out these potatoes with a fabulous meal.
Marinated Chicken Drumsticks would be another great choice.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Lemon Pepper seasoning would be delicious paired with these taters.
We make air fryer recipes at least 4-5 days a week. Besides being so much better for you than frying, the food always tastes great.
Roasted Potatoes are another delicious recipe that is a fantastic side dish.
Herb Garlic Roasted Red Potatoes are another flavor-packed side dish.
Next time be sure to check out all my Potato Recipes, for lots of ideas.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Frequently asked questions
Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes
- 3 large Russet Potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Homemade Seasoning Salt Note 1 or your favorite Seasoning Salt
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup cheddar cheese, shredded Note 2½
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- sour cream, chopped chives or chopped green onions optional garnish
- Wash the potatoes and using a fork prick holes around the potato. ( This ensures air to escape and the potato will not explode)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket, leave room so they do not touch. Do not over crowd the potatoes.
- Bake the potatoes at 400°F for 60 minutes, rotating the potatoes every 20 minutes. The potatoes will be rotated 3 times. The potatoes will be soft and a fork or toothpick should easily slide into the skin of the potato.
- Cut the potatoes in half ,long ways. Use a spoon to scoop out the inside and place the flesh of the potato in a large mixing bowl.
- To the large mixing bowl, mix in half of the shredded cheese, the unsalted butter, heavy cream, sour cream, and seasoning salt.
- Add the mixture back in the hollowed-out potatoes. Top with the remaining shredded cheese and bake in air fryer on 350 for 5 minutes.
- Top with bacon, sour cream, chives, and any of your favorite toppings.